tying pleats

Pallavi rushed into her room, holding onto her loose pallu. She didn't know how it failed to be supported today. Usually she takes extra measures to keep it up. She looked down at the few safety pins that were lying scattered on her vanity desk. She groaned at her idiocy. She must have forgotten to fasten them in her rush to help Aai this morning.

No worries. Now that she had a few minutes to spare, she could wear it properly again. She removed her pallu and pulled her pleats out from her petticoat. She thought of simply redoing them but found she had messed up the initial length of fabric she had tucked in. Kissing her teeth, Pallavi removed the entire yard and waved it out to remove the creases.

Pallavi had been folding up the fabric to make the pleats when she heard the door close behind her. She turned around and was shocked to see Mandaar.

"Mandaar, tum yahan kya kar re ho?"

He swept his eyes over her body and Pallavi was reminded of her undressed state. Gulping, she hastily covered herself with her saree's pallu.

"Saree theek se bandh lo Pallavi." He commented in a saccharine tone. Standing in front of her, he said, "Bahar kahin khul na jaye."

Pallavi glared at him. "Dhamki de re ho?"

"Why Pallavi, of course not! Pati hoon mein tumhara." Pallavi stared at his hands when they came to rest on her shoulders. "Tumhe dhamkaunga thodi. Pyaar se samjhaunga." He squeezed her shoulders to further prove his point.

She swatted his hands away and took a step back. "Apni galat fehmi door kar lo Mandaar. Mere pati abhi tak bane nahi ho tum."

He scoffed. "Lagta hai yadaash meri nahi tumhari jaa chuki hai. Humari shaadi do saal pehle ho chuki thi Pallavi. Yeh rasam bas ek formality."

He came closer and when Pallavi tried stepping back he wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her forward.

"Let me help you with this." He said, pulling the pleats out of her hands.

"Mujhe tumhare madad ki koi zaroorat nahi hai." Pallavi rebuked trying to grab them back.

"Why are you getting so mad Pallu? Pati hoon. Help karna chahta hoon. Tumhari problem kya hai?"

"I don't need your help! Mein khud kar sakti hoon." Pallavi spoke angrily.

Dropping the pleats and releasing her, he stepped away from her. "Fine. As you wish." Slowly walking towards the door, he said, "Mein Aai ko mil kar aata hoon. I'm pretty sure she needs help. Kaafi dino se unho saans lene mein problem hori thi na. I'll take care of that for her."

Pallavi's heart dropped. "Nahi! Tum Aai ko kuch nahi karoge."

"Par Pallu mein toh help karne jaa ra hoon."

"Nahi, unhe tumhari koi help nahi chahiye." She squeezed her eyes shut and clenched her hands into fists. Even though every fiber of her being wanted him to be far away from her, she knew this one time she had to give into his demands. If not, Aai's life would be in grave danger. She kept her eyes fixed to the ground and said, "Mujhe, mujhe chahiye. Tum meri help kar do."

Mandaar brought his steps back to her. He removed her pallu and stared at her for a long few seconds. She clenched her hands tighter and felt her sharp fingernails pierce the skin on her palms. Pallavi wanted to at least cover her chest but she had a feeling it would incense him even more. She trembled when he touched either side of her chest and slid his hands down while he crouched in front of her. Squeezing her eyes, she told herself it'll be over soon. Not just him forcing his way into her personal space, but him forcefully tying her down in some sham of a marriage.