𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔴𝔬

The police were useless.

After surveying the video store and asking you a few questions, the only advice you had been given to stay safe was to 'lock doors and windows' or 'screen incoming phone calls'. By their dismissive tone and refusal to acknowledge you, it was pretty obvious they had no intention of believing you.

"Well, kid," one of the officers spoke, eyes hovering just above your head rather than making eye contact, "you came out unscathed so I'm sure you'll be fine for now, have a good night."

With that they were gone, their nonchalance making you wonder if you had dreamt up the entire situation.

-----------------------------------

"Stu win me something from the claw machine, please,"

You had agreed to spend the afternoon with Tatum, Stu, Billy, Sid & Randy at the local arcade, wanting to take your mind off of the events that had taken place the night before.

Tatum stood at a line of claw machines, pointing into one of them at a large, fluffy rabbit toy, passing Stu some change as he grabbed the joystick. She watched eagerly as the machine gripped onto the plush toy, lifting it into the air by its head. It was barely a second before the rabbit fell out of the claw's grip, Stu kicking the machine in frustration,

"Fucking rigged piece of metal!"

"Whatever let me try," Billy lightly shoved Stu out of the way, trying to get the same rabbit that Stu had been aiming for. His brows furrowed as he concentrated on the exact moves to get to the plush, everyone else watching in silence as the claw grabbed it and lifted it into the air. You could feel a rush of tension take over as the head of the rabbit began to slip out of the claw, the grip getting looser as it approached the winning box.

"Fuck you!" Billy shouted, mimicking Stu's action of kicking the machine before shoving his hands into his pockets to put some more coins in.

He jolted the joystick aggressively and positioned it over the rabbit again, a sigh of aggravation leaving his lips when the stuffed toy fell into the win zone, dropping down so he could grab it and hand it over to Sydney.
"Thanks, Billy," she smiled, tucking the large rabbit under her arms before going back to whatever conversation she had been having with Tatum.

Awkward.

You looked over at Billy, who had started walking off with Stu to go and find whatever hidden treasure in the back corner of the arcade, he didn't seem bothered by Sydney's nonchalance - the way she brushed him off so casually, as if he was courting her when the feelings weren't mutual.

"Scream Queen come over here," Randy placed his hand on your shoulder, shaking you lightly, "they're got 2-player Pac-Man, I bet I can beat you".

He hadn't given you time to respond before taking his hand from your shoulder and onto your wrist, pulling you into the section that had all the classics: Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Donkey Kong, Q*bert, etc.

"Randy you talk big game but we both know you don't hold a candle to my skill," you joked, pulling your lips into a playful smirk as he disagreed, lightly shoving you out of the way as soon as the game started.

"Cheat!" you laughed, shoulder barging him with more force than he had, cheering in triumph when he was caught by Clyde, losing a life.

"Foul play! Foul play!" he exclaimed back, continuing to try and distract you while also focusing on his pac-man. As he moved to lightly swipe his feet at your legs, hoping to make you lose your balance, although it achieved the opposite as he stumbled back, yelping a cry out as he realised he had lost another life by the time he'd regained his balance.