No Turning Back

Mona's POV

"Mama, do we have to go? We can just stay at the house a binge watch movies together

"Mama, do we have to go? We can just stay at the house a binge watch movies together." My 16 year old daughter, Sonnie, asked for the umpteenth time.

She was sitting in the passenger seat, and my 11 year old son, Demar, was in the back, playing some game on his phone, not paying us any attention.

"Yes, you have to. It's your dad's week, and he's supposed to have some things planned. Why don't you wanna go anyway?" I asked, stopping at a red light.

"Because he's boring, and I don't like that thot he calls a fiancé." She huffed, crossing her arms.

"She isn't picking with you is she? Cause I'll whoop her ass if she messing with my babies." I said, driving through the green light.

I don't care how old my kids are, I'll catch a case for them.

"No, she just tries too hard. I can tell she's only trying to be nice, cause she's marrying dad. She's not genuine, plus she's a home wrecker, so my disdain is justified."

"Sonnie, I know things with me and your dad ended messily, and I'm sorry the both of you had to go through that. However, she is gonna be your new step mom soon. I'm not telling you, you have to like her, or respect her, cause respect is earned, but try to be cordial while you're around her."

"I'll try, but it's hard to. Ma they both hurt you, and they're just continuing on like nothing ever happened." She said, and honestly I understood where she was coming from.

Sonnie was only 12, and Demar was seven when me and their father got a divorce.

He had cheated on me with some woman he met at a bar, and when I filed for divorce, he moved and bought a house with her, and now they are engaged.

It was messy as hell, especially when it came to battling for custody, because he tried to get full custody, but I won, and he gets them every other week. If they could stay home, I'd let them, but it's court ordered that they have to stay with their dad.

That whole situation tore me apart, but I had to pull it together not only for myself, but for my kids.

It took a while to heal, but now I'm happy, and better than ever.

"I know, and you have every right to feel that way, but I've moved on. Yes it sucked going through that, but I like the way things are now. You'll be 17 soon, and next thing you know, you're gonna be off to college, and you won't have to do these visits anymore."

"Yeah, and I can finally have your room." Demar said, for the first time.

"Boy bye. That will always and forever be my room. I don't need you stinking it up with your foot fungus, and back sweat."

"Your daddy has foot fungus."

"Well he's your daddy too."

"Alright, that's enough. We're here." I said, pulling into my ex's mother's driveway.