Storms

It was 2 am. The lights were off, the curtains closed, and a boy in bed.

But Chongyun couldn't sleep. He tried, of course, but the exorcist couldn't shut his eyes.

Correction: he could, but he couldn't get anything out of it. Like, sleep. Shut-eye. Whatever you want to call it.

The rain pattered loudly, like rocks, on the roof. Lightning lit up the silhouette of the windowsill. Thunder seemed to cackle at him. 

Chongyun lifted his knees to his chest and rested his head on top. 

And he cried.

He cried because he was scared.

He cried because he was alone.

He cried because he was tired.

He cried because he wasn't used to these things.

He cried because he wanted this to be over.

But mostly, he cried because he wanted Xingqiu with him. Right now. At this moment.

Why wasn't he there when he most needed him?

But why was he thinking about his friend so much?

Why couldn't he think about Xiangling, for example? She was his friend, too. She cooks things for him and Xingqiu, when they ate lunch together. And occasionally dinner. 

Wait.

Why did his mind immediately jump to the Hydro user? All the time?

He shook his head to clear his thoughts, and flopped down onto his back.

Why was life so complicated?

Chongyun wanted to go back to the times when he could look at his friend without things possibly becoming weird and awkward, his face heating up for no reason. He wanted to go back to when they could run down the streets of Liyue holding hands and no one would bat an eye because they were friends.

But it was different now.

They were older.

Chongyun focused on exorcising spirits. Xingqiu focused on his family and career.

So why did he feel butterflies floating around in his stomach, threatening to fly up into his throat whenever he locked eyes with the turquoise-haired boy?

It used to be different.

Why was this happening?

Slowly, Chongyun felt his eyelids becoming heavy, and the rain dying down to just a drizzle. No more thunder, no more lightning.

Maybe all the thinking and crying finally made him tired.

Tomorrow is a new day, he thought.

The tired exorcist turned onto his side and finally, sleep came over him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

inspired by my beloved oz's dream :)