cove x upset demiboy reader

you sat helplessly on your bed, body limp and mind blank. you and cove just fought for the first time. this was something the both of you had never experienced before. You worried if this stupid argument would put on a strain on the rest of your relationship forever. cove was your support system, and you liked to think you were his as well. it felt odd even thinking you upset with him.

     truth be told, you didn't even remember how the argument started. it felt like cove was just being cold towards you for no reason. you were clueless about the whole situation and it angered you. even so, you missed him. you didn't understand why you got so worked up, but you knew you wanted some consolation.

     nervously, you pulled your phone out.

     cove...

     can we talk pls?

     delivered.

     for five minutes, you waited for a typing bubble. it never came.

     hopelessly, you sat your phone back down. you felt uncomfortable and hot. the sweat pearling at your temples was practically evaporating from the heat of your own body. you felt the need for an escape. as if on cue, the wind blew through your window, sporting its chilly air. you knew exactly were you needed to go.

     as you went on your way to the poppy hill behind your house, you realized you had started running. it was as if your legs were taking your body where it needed to go in order to recharge. before you knew it, you had your face buried in the soft grass of the hill. the night was dim, casting shadows all around you and camouflaging you in the night. you sat there for a while, breathing in the earth and letting it caress you. a few blades of grass scraped your face while you laid there, but you didn't care. you let nature take care of you for the night.

     you could hear the ocean shore not too far from where you were. you imagined someone must be out there, even as late as it is. someone always had time to enjoy the ocean. maybe cove was there and maybe he wasn't. you hoped wherever he was that he was okay. you just wanted everything to be okay again.

3rd pov

     cove sniffled, rubbing his eyes briskly with his cold hands. he was leaning against his father on their family couch, watching the random show cliff had put on as background noise an hour before. cove had come running back home after the fight and went to his dad for help. he never thought he would be so desperate that he would ask his own father for advice, but here he was.

     cliff, being shocked, could only nod and rub his son's back supportively. someone in the show screamed and ran down the staircase, causing an eruption of loud thudding footsteps to echo thought the room. cove thought to himself you're in a horror movie, why are you being so loud. he also wondered if the characters in the movie had this thought. they didn't.

     cove laughed softly as the actor tripped down the stairs. it was a nice distraction, but cove knew he couldn't go crying in his dad's arms with not explanation.

     "bud, what happened?"

     cove bitterly chewed on his tongue, "y/n and i had a fight."

     cliff hummed and let a moment pass before he replied. he needed to think about the way he gave his son advice. he knew he wasn't the best at this, but he was trying.

     "do you know why?"
     "i was... upset about mom not coming this year. i guess i didn't want to be away from him again. we were just talking and i snapped at them. i-i didn't mean to... i feel horrible." cove shut his eyes, twisting his mouth into a frown.
     "cove... im not going to scold you... but i'm sure he would have understood. you tell him everything."
     "i know..."

      cove sighed, brushing his hair out of his face. after a few deep breaths, he decided he needed to fix this.

     "i have to go talk to them."
     "that's my boy."

     a series of soft footsteps trailed up behind you. they were familiar and wary, taking time between each step so that you wouldn't get scared. you opened your eyes, looking up to see who was visiting you. expectedly, it was cove. you closed your eyes again, not peeping a word. you didn't want to be the one to start the conversation. you were fine with sitting in silence for the time being.

     cove sat down beside you and let out a deep sigh. he nervously hummed something to himself and then quietly said your name. he sounded small and afraid. the sound of his voice made you sit up immediately, giving him your full attention. you might have been upset with him, but he was still your best friend and boyfriend. you didn't like the fact that he was upset, either.

     "y/n, i-i..." cove trailed off, sniffling a bit and hiding his face in his hands. any part of you that was upset with him withered away within seconds at the sight of him crying. you scooted closer to him so that your shoulders were touching.

     "this is familiar," you teased. you knew it was a low blow but you were sure it wouldn't come off in a bad way. you felt a slight nudge from beside you. he knew you didn't mean it in a bad way. this was a safe place for you and cove to do or say anything. cove looked up with bleary eyes and gave you a pleasing look. "it's alright, cove, i'm not mad."

     "i just don't want to be away from you."
      "what?"
      "i d-didn't mean snap at you," cove let out a tiny sob. "ijustdontwanttoleaveyouherebutiwannaseemombutillmissyoutoomuchimsosorryimsosorry."

     "woah," you said softly, pulling cove closer to you. you wiped his hot tears and pushed his hair out of his face. "take it slow, okay? im listening."
     "i was upset. i was thinking about how much i'd miss you when i leave that i forgot i was sitting right beside you. i know you were only talking, but at the time it just felt so loud. i-i would never be mean to you on purpose, y/n. im so sorry."
     "cove... i would have understood if you asked me to be quiet for a little or if you wanted to vent to me. you know i'm always gonna be right here."

     cove nodded, but something about the words you had just spoke made him cry even more. you could tell how sorry he felt for making you upset. you ran your fingers through his soft hair, letting him cry into your shoulder as much as he wanted. you mumbled words of affection to him and kept him close until he calmed down.

     that night, you and cove had fallen asleep on the poppy hill beside your house. it was peaceful and safe. no one bothered the two of you.