Chapter 3

I had a very strange dream at night. It went like this:

I was walking towards the school bus in the morning, ready to go to school for the second day. Then, I noticed that the bus seemed eerily empty. The bus driver wasn't even there. I hurried up and walked up the stairs. The door slowly, creakily opened. I peered inside. There was nobody there.

"Hello?" I whispered. No answer. I cautiously stepped inside. I made my way to a seat. Suddenly, the door slammed shut. I was scared for dear life.

The bus started moving forward. I screamed. It went over bumpy roads, desolate streets, and empty parks. The world was gray and empty. There was nobody anywhere. I was alone. I continued to scream.

Then, I found myself in front of Los Angeles Junior High School. I was startled. The bus door opened again. I climbed out.

The school was deserted and dark. There was no light on inside, and the school looked nothing like the lively one that I had seen on the first day of school. I was good at solving problems and mysteries, but this one just didn't make sense to me. Where was everyone?

It seemed like I was on a different planet, where no human being existed except me. Yet the surroundings were still the same. Just . . . grayer.

Nothing made sense. Suddenly, I saw the doors of the school move. They were turning into . . . MONSTERS. I screamed hysterically. I felt myself spinning down, down, down, down, down . . . into the depths of utter blackness.

I woke up sweating like crazy. It was five in the morning. Mom and Dad both rushed to my room.

"What's the matter, Bree?" They asked, worried. I took a deep breath.

"I had this nightmare that nobody on Earth was . . . well, ON Earth, except me. The school bus started moving alone like it was ALIVE. There was no bus driver, no students, no ANYTHING. And when I arrived at my junior high school, the lights were turned off, and again there was nobody there. Then suddenly, the doors turned into MONSTERS, and I fell into blackness," Well, as far as I can remember, I thought uneasily as I told Mom and Dad, panting, trying to calm myself down.

They reassured me, "Oh, Bree, it's fine. It was just a dream. You must have had a lot of stress when you went to school for your first day. We're sure it'll be fine today."

I thanked my parents and went back to sleep. This time, I didn't have any dreams except for the thought that all I wanted to do was to wake up refreshed and ready for school. But . . . what if the dream meant something?

"RIIIIIIIIINGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!" I turned my alarm clock off sleepily. I moaned. I was NOT ready for school today. And what was worse, I was super stiff from the nightmare, and it was only my second day of junior high. I was DOOMED.

I dragged myself out of bed and went to the washroom to brush my teeth, wash my face, and brush my hair into my usual low ponytail. After I was done, I made my way down to the dining room.

"Good morning," my parents greeted.

"Morning," I groaned.

I had cereal for breakfast. After I was done eating, I went back up to my room. I decided to wear a purple hoodie and black ripped skinny jeans. I put on some matching purple Vans sneakers along with my bracelets and purple beanie. Then I rushed back downstairs.

"Bye, Mom and Dad!" I said.

"Bye, Bree, have a good day at school," they replied. I went out the front door and waited for the school bus. It came into our driveway, and I boarded the bus. After a few stops, it was Isabella's house. I ignored her as she sashayed onto the bus like it was her own limousine or something. She was wearing a cropped white tank top with a black leather jacket over it and a black leather skirt that was SUPERshort. She was wearing silver hoop earrings and had red lip gloss on. She even had solid black nail polish, and her hair was pulled back into a SUPERhigh ponytail. I gaped at her. She looked SO different from last year. She looked like she was already in HIGH SCHOOL! And what was more, she was DEFINITELY going to get dress-coded. After all, didn't she know the dress code rules?