Chapter 7

After about a full four hours of incessantly listening to Skipper talking about getting a new phone and laptop, blah blah blah, we finally reached the New York City Airport. Fortunately, the weather was really nice, and I was so looking forward to seeing all the city lights when night came. I had always been a night owl, and the nighttime was, unmistakably, my favorite time of day.

"We're here, we're here!" Skipper cheered beside me. She started taking dozens of pictures with her phone, and I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes by closing them.

"Skip, we've not even set foot on the actual airport. Maybe save the pictures for the real trip?" I chuckled.

She sheepishly put her phone away and asked, "What are you going to do while we're here?"

"Actually, that's a good question. I don't know what I'm going to do, exactly," I wondered. "What about you?"

"I'm probably just going to take some photos and relax for the entire trip," she replied, holding up her professional camera. "Hey, why don't you come shopping with me and my friend tonight? She lives here."

"Sure," I shrugged. I wasn't a HUGE fan of shopping, but of course I could tag along with my sister. If I had nothing else to do.

Soon, Mom ushered us outside because it was our turn to get off the plane and into the airport.

Aaaaah. It felt so good to get up and stretch my legs for once. And, like, actually BE ON THE GROUND.

I looked outside the windows and saw all the marvels that New York City offered. The skyscrapers, the busy streets, all the different features that made it so exciting. I was sure that it would look even more fantastic at night.

"Let's get our luggage and check out some restaurants for lunch," Mom suggested, swinging her arms around to get the blood flowing again.

After we retrieved all of our bags, we ventured outside and took in our first breaths of New York City. It was exhilarating.

We called a taxi, and after we had all piled in, Dad asked the driver if he knew of any gourmet lunch places nearby.

"There's one called Cheesy Street just five minutes away. It's mainly a pizza place, if you folks want to check it out," the driver replied in a New York accent.

"Sounds like a good idea! Please make that our next destination," Dad agreed.

The taxi bumped so hard along the rocky streets that even a roller coaster probably wouldn't make our stomachs churn so much. Good thing we had barely eaten anything this morning.

When we finally arrived at Cheesy Street, we paid the driver, thanked him, and went in.

The food we ordered was really good, and really . . . cheesy.

After we had spent our time there, we called another taxi and rode to our hotel, the Big Apple Hotel, located in the heart of New York City.

When we entered our room, we were breathtaken. The room had the best view of New York City, and it was almost as big as a small house. How had our parents even afforded this?

My question was answered when Mom proudly announced, "Girls, we think it's time to tell you. The reason your dad got offered this business job is because he got a promotion at work! Now, he earns almost TWICE the amount of money he did before!"

My sisters and I couldn't believe our ears. Was it just me, or was this trip getting better and better?

"Oh my gosh, Mom and Dad! That's the best news I have ever heard in WEEKS!!!" I was the first one to exclaim.