Chapter 9

"Wait . . . Chris, I think this cave actually leads outside!" I exclaimed suddenly, peering through the dark cave.

"I think I see something, too! We should definitely go explore it," Chris agreed.

"If this cave really does lead to the sea or something, this is the most epic vacation I've ever had in my life," I laughed. I was having so much fun, and I was discovering something new every minute I was in New York. And maybe I was starting to think a lot more about someone . . .

Chris smiled, and his whole face lit up. I knew why. I never got this excited about anything, and to him, I probably seemed like a completely different person right now. "I know, me too. And this isn't just any vacation. If we hadn't found out about the first portal before coming here, we wouldn't have a clue that another portal was waiting right under our noses."

I chuckled. "Yeah, for sure. But if we check out the other side of the cave, what happens if we can't . . . get back to the other side?"

"That's a risk we have to be willing to take. That's the cost of an adventure, anyway. Maybe . . . one of us should go . . . and one of us should stay?" Chris said slowly, a worried look outlining his face.

"That sounds like the best idea right now, especially if there's no way back," I said. "And whichever one of us goes doesn't have to stay there for long. They just have to check if there's really something on the other side, and if there's a clear and safe path between both sides, we can both swim to the other side together."

"That sounds like a good plan. Now we just have to decide who will go," Chris said. "First of all, what are the risks? Number one, whoever goes has to hold their breath for who knows how long, and we just have to hope that there's actually air on the other side of the cave. Number two, there might be some obstacles and potentially dangerous things that could be waiting for us on the other side. Number three, it looks pretty dark along the cave, and it'll probably only get darker as we swim the distance between here and the other side. Number four, we have no way of telling if there really is a way back, or even a way to the other side."

"Now that you say all that, this could actually be more dangerous than we think," I said worriedly.

"Exactly. And what matters the most is . . . which one of us is willing to take the risks?" Chris said, looking at me.

I sighed. "I don't know. I'm more than willing to, but what I'm worried about is if I never come back . . . what are you going to do without me?" I knew what I was saying was dramatic, but what if it was true? What if I really never did make it back?

"I'm not willing to risk you never coming back. I'll go," Chris said firmly.

"But I'm not willing to risk you never coming back," I said, my voice catching a little. This moment was more important than either of us had ever imagined.

"I got you into this in the first place. It's my responsibility to take whatever risk I need to," Chris said.

"I won't just stay here and do nothing, Chris. Either we go together, regardless of whether or not we make it back, or we don't go at all," I said, even more firmly. I wasn't going to change my mind. Even though I acted all nonchalant and apathetic in my normal life, nothing kept me from making the right decisions for people I cared about.

Chris sighed. "You're right. There's nothing either of us are going to achieve by trying to get to the other side alone. We're in this together, and besides, magic never gives rewards to people who don't work together."

As soon as he said the word 'magic', the portal on the cave lit up into the brightest gold we had ever seen. Two shimmering purple and blue seashell necklaces floated out of the portal, and it then closed as quickly as it had opened.