Chapter Two

Cyrus was not having the most relaxing of mornings. Not only had he been crowned king the day before, but everyone seemed to be.. scared of him all of a sudden. They were uptight around him, and apparently were so worried about messing up that they didn't dare even talk to him.

He'd heard that this sort of thing happened to monarchs from Rowan a couple times, but he hadn't expected it to be this sudden. It was so weird. Cyrus had always been so laid back, and that attitude had reflected on the other people around him, so he'd never really had people worrying around him.

As he was eating his breakfast, he noticed how tense his fathers were. They kept muttering things to the palace staff as they walked by, and giving each other furtive glances.

"Okay, you're acting weird. What's going on?" Cyrus spoke up, putting his cutlery down.

Thalus sighed. "Since your coronation, there have been.. some people who disagree with your ability to rule this kingdom." He said.

"We've received word form King Rowan that the people in the Overgrown are already scared about the alliance being broken." Damon said hesitantly.

Cyrus felt his stomach drop. "Is- is everyone thinking this?"

"Not everyone." Thalus said. "Most people aren't, but there are always some."

"If it wasn't most people, Rowan wouldn't have people being worried about the alliance." Cyrus frowned. "What am I doing wrong?"

"Cy, you're doing nothing wrong." Damon said gently. "Like your father said, there will always be people who are against you, but there's nothing anyone can do to change their minds."

"In short," A voice said. "Ignore the dicks and you'll be fine."

"Not exactly how I would have put it, Elliott, but yes, that is the general message." Thalus chuckled, looking at someone behind Cyrus.

He twisted in his seat to see the blue-haired person Rowan was with the day before.

"Hello?" Cyrus said.

"Hi." The person said, entirely unfazed by Cyrus' presence. "I'm Elliott, nice to meet you."

"You too." Cyrus was pleased to have someone act relaxed around him for the first time that day.

"Oh, yeah, Rowan said that was annoying." Elliott said, like Cyrus had spoken his thoughts aloud. "They said you should get used to it though, don't worry."

Cyrus' heart gave a little jolt at Rowan's name. "How did you-"

"I'm the demigod of mischief." Elliott grinned. "It has its perks."

Cyrus nodded, only half understanding. "I see."

"And yes, I'm Rowan's friend." Elliott said. "He thought you looked nice yesterday." It added.

Cyrus' cheeks flushed. "Really?"

Elliott raised an eyebrow, smirking slightly. "Really."

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw his fathers exchanging a look.

"We haven't heard about this." Damon said. "Cyrus, do you have a crush?" He teased.

"Damon!" Thalus hit his husband's arm.

"What? I'm interested in my son's previously nonexistent love life." Damon grinned. "And I didn't get an answer." He directed his attention back to Cyrus.

"Perhaps." Cyrus said, with as much dignity as he could muster.

"I told you!" Damon exclaimed. "I knew it!"

"Are you serious?" Thalus asked, clearly wanting to prove Damon wrong.

Cyrus sighed. "Yeah."

"I thought so." Thalus said. "Fine, what do I owe you again?" He asked Damon.

"Wait, you bet on me?" Cyrus asked indignantly.

"Yes." Damon said. "And you owe me that book you never let me borrow."

"There is a very good reason I don't let you borrow that, and you know it." Thalus said.

"Can we circle back to the fact that you guys knew?" Cyrus interrupted.

"Hang on, I wanna see how this goes." Elliott said, watching the two men bicker.

Cyrus looked up at the demigod. He had a million different questions— admittedly, most about Rowan.

"How long have you known them? Rowan, I mean." Cyrus asked.

A dark look flashed behind Elliott's eyes for a fraction of a second. It's usual casualness returned almost instantly, however. "Since they were born. I guess before, if that counts." It gave Cyrus a grin. "Why, you want baby pictures?"

Cyrus felt his face burn again. "Shut up."

"That isn't a no." Elliott noted.

"No, I don't." Cyrus muttered, ignoring his fathers' continued arguing.

"Hm." Elliott hummed. "Okay."

Cyrus was silent for a moment, before a thought popped into his mind.

"You're, uh, you're not gonna tell them, are you?" He said nervously. "Rowan. That- that I like them."

"Mm?" Elliott looked away from the argument. "Oh, no, not at all. I'd only tell him if you wanted me to."

He breathed. "Thank you. I have enough to worry about as it is."

"Indeed." Elliott nodded. "You'll get the hang of it, don't worry."

Cyrus nodded. "Thanks." He exhaled, preparing to say what he was about to. "And.. um. You will- you will visit again, won't you?" He asked.

There was something soft in Elliott's expression."I will." It said, and there was no trace of a teasing tone when he spoke.

Elliott gave him a gentle smile and vanished into the air.

It's surprising how much Cyrus reminds me of Rowan, and vice versa.

Odd, I suppose, considering they are literal opposites.

-Elliott