Chapter Three

A letter had come. Rowan sat in his study, pouring over the writing, nose almost touching the paper— he'd lost his glasses again.

The letter read:

Dear Rowan,

I'm afraid I am going to have to ask a large task of you.

See, neither me or Elysia were at the Infernia coronation for a very good reason; a drakon has become wild.

It is as far as it can get from the main cities of Immanis, but our people are worried. No monster has been this enraged without cause before, and we cannot find a reason for its fury.

We ask of you to help us— we cannot tame this beast alone. Though we have many powers, none of them have been useful in this situation, which why we need you.

If you could encase the drakon in either plant or water, we could tame it without being injured. Of course, I understand if you can't— a drakon is one of the most powerful creatures— but I hope we can count on you.

Yours sincerely,
Lavina

That wasn't exactly the way he expected to spend the day, but he was hardly about to deny his help to the people that practically raised him after-
...
Well, he wasn't about to say no.

Elliott, being the punctual asshole it was, appeared next to him as he was hurrying towards the weapon room, so fast that the demigod had to jog to keep up.

"What's going on?" It asked.

"I don't have time to explain." Rowan said, increasing his speed. "Here." He handed Elliott the letter.

"Oh shit." It muttered. "So, what, you're just gonna go now?"

"Well what else am I supposed to do?" Rowan asked, turning so swiftly down a corridor that Elliott almost ran into a wall.

"I mean, I know you're powerful enough to trap it but-" Elliott panted. "But we're talking about a drakon here."

"I am aware." Rowan stopped at a pair of particularly grand double doors.

"Yes." Elliott followed as Rowan opened them and walked inside. "However, if the drakon is so out of control that Lavina can't tame it without your help-"

"I will be fine." Rowan said, turning to Elliott. "I've handled worse."

"I know, but." Elliott fiddled with something on its sleeve. "I'm not sure about this. If there's something wrong with the drakon that the queen of monsters or the literal goddess of death doesn't understand, I don't think I want you to tangle in it."

"I don't have much of a choice." Rowan said, searching for one very specific artefact. "They're practically my adoptive parents. I can't leave them."

Elliott's expression softened. "Rowan, I know how you feel about them. But I'm still worried about the drakon."

"You can come with me if that makes you feel better." Rowan looked up.

Elliott gave them a grin. "And cause it'll make you feel better?"

"Perhaps." Rowan resumed his search, an embarrassed blush on his face.

"What are you looking for anyway?" Elliott asked.

"The staff I- um." Rowan's voice was quieter. "The one I.. inherited."

Elliott knew what they were talking about.

"You think that'll help?" Rowan asked, and suddenly, they looked 14 again in their worry, reminding Elliott what it had known from the start— Rowan trusted it more than they trusted anyone else in the 4 realms.