09 Superstitions

"I need you to take off your clothes."

"It's really alright, I don't need treatment."

"Captain? Please."

Riftan swallowed dryly upon her firm request, before unzipping his jacket reluctantly. He tried to slide out his arm, but his lips twitched at the unconcealable pain in his shoulder. A tender touch landed on his forearm. It almost made him jump. While separated by a layer of latex, the light contact with her hand was driving his senses wild.

"Be careful with your wound."

The professor chided as she helped him out of his outerwear, concerned that any further movement might tear his incision. Riftan held his breath when he felt her warm exhalation near his neck. His heart started to beat rapidly and was only able to slow down when the jacket was finally off. Maximillian took a step back.

"Sorry, Captain. I'll really need a clear access to the wound. The jacket is not enough."

The professor muttered, her voice increasingly strained. Her cheeks were still visibly red like her hair. The professor then turned her back towards him, granting the man some privacy. It's just a standard treatment procedure. What are you so hyped up about? With a composed face, Riftan tried to pull off the black sweater but a muffled grunt escaped from his lips.

"Are you alright?"

Alarmed by the sound, Maximillian immediately turned towards him. Riftan shuddered and involuntarily flexed his upper torso when he noticed her eyes lingering over his exposed body. Her cheeks were flushed to the colours of crimson. His attention wandered to her soft lips and it lured him in with giddiness. Embarrassed, the man ruffled his hair with the uninjured arm and mumbled.

"It's really nothing."

"You-you keep saying that."

The professor frowned as she grabbed the surgical tools from the desk and walked behind him. Riftan felt another shiver running through his back when her cold fingers touched his burning skin. His blood circulation was way more active than he wanted it to be. The man shifted his legs uncomfortably. Trying to distract himself, the detective decided to resume the topic.

"Tell me more about your medical background."

"What do you want to know about?"

"Aren't you a researcher?"

Riftan sensed the professor hesitating once again and doubted his tone of voice. He was determined to find out about her connection with the coroner and neutralise that acidity in him. However, a cooling sensation landed on his skin, and the man dismissed her pause by reasoning internally that the woman was just busy disinfecting his wound.

"I used to treat humans, but now I'm a certified veterinarian instead. The skillsets have led me to discover the world of animal conservation and research, which is what brought you to me too... perhaps."

"You must have studied really hard to be knowledgeable in so many fields."

"I had quite a bit of time."

Maximillian answered softly. Her voice was almost inaudible despite being right behind him. 

"You're incredibly young to be a professor already. Why the switch to animals?"

"Because it's easier to deal with them in the long run."

"Deal with them?"

"This is going to sting slightly–"