18 Vulnerability

The detective felt like he was walking on fire despite his expressionless visage. Throughout his years of interrogating experience, he knew well that suspects would often buckle under the pressure of silence. He did not have to speak further, but to just observe her quietly.

He knew that the truth might hurt him, if she really did had someone in her life. Moreover, he did not want to be a home-wrecker.

Maximillian was visibly shaken by his question. Part of him felt terrible to see her this way, but he really needed to know the truth. Her shoulder drooped a little more before sighing again.

"It's not t-that simple."

Riftan held his breath upon the ambiguous reply. His temper began to rise and he trembled to level out his emotions.

"What do you mean by that?"

"I-I really should go, Captain."

Without another look at him, the professor hurried over to the sleeping kitten and lifted the carton housing it.

"Thank you for your hos-hospitality. Please allow me to treat you the next time."

"Stop."

Startled, Maximilliam's gaze immediately flew towards him. Riftan regretted his tone but he was in disbelief with the response.

"You have not answered my question, Professor."

Maximillian bit her lips nervously. She blinked her eyes and her beautifully red lashes appeared clumped with wetness.

"I thought I would have an answer by now, Captain. I really thought I would. But seeing you, it only dissolves my resolution."

Feeling blood drained from his hand, Riftan swallowed drily. He took a step closer to Maximillian, reaching for her slender arm.

"What is holding you back?"

"I..."

"Maxi..."

Maximillian halted immediately. That was when Riftan realised it was the first time he had addressed her by the nickname he saved under her number in his phone. However, it did not take the professor long this time to react.

"I'm really so-sorry."

With that, the professor picked up her belongings and headed for the door. What the fuck. A surge of emotions rushed over Riftan. It was a complexity of rage, shame and loss — emotions that he had long abandoned since growing up in an orphanage. He was not to be left hanging again. Cussing under his breath, he landed his fist loudly against the wall before bending over to clean up the half-eaten dinner.

***

Ever since that night, Riftan had been consciously avoiding the professor in the office. He would take note of the usual hours she would arrive, and leave from the back door right after seeing her face. Riftan felt like an irrational idiot, one who could not bear to crumble his wall yet unable to fully let his trespasser go. He did not believe in fate, in cupid or in romantic feelings — and this was what he had been convincing himself time and time again.

I have been alone for the past three decades and will be fine for the rest of my life.

"Cap–!"

The captain scowled as he peered up from his desk. He had been deep in paperwork trying to analyse the cases from Osiriya when an orange-haired giant approached him. Taking his eyes off a grotesquely mangled corpse, he was unsure if the man he was looking upon now was even a better sight.