Chapter 5

"You're lucky," Beth said, holding the door for Penelope and her dad as they stepped into the cabin

"You're lucky," Beth said, holding the door for Penelope and her dad as they stepped into the cabin. "You're the first people to check-in to this one since we renovated."

Penelope didn't know if lucky was the right word to describe her, but she had to admit that the place was nice. The backside of the cabin was all windows, looking out on the forest. A retro fireplace was set into one corner, its long chimney rising through the open rafters, with a new leather couch laid out in front. Against the far wall, a set of black-metal stairs led up to the loft.

This was the kind of place she would've loved to stay in and take lots of pictures of for her Instagram before everything went to shit. Instead, she dropped their food on the polished-concrete counter and went to the wall of windows.

Her dad let out a low whistle. "It's beautiful," he said before turning back to face Beth. "Really, it's a lovely place. But, uh," he shot a quick glance at Penelope, "to be honest, I was hoping for something, I dunno, a bit more... Remote? Y'see, we're big hikers and—"

Beth's face fell. "Oh."

"I don't mean to sound ungrateful," her dad countered, getting flustered again. He was easy to fluster.

"Unfortunately, since it's the start of the season, you'll be hard-pressed to find anything else," Beth explained. "Most everything is booked already. You got this place on a cancellation. Like I said, lucky."

"Oh, really?" her dad said, his shoulders sinking.

"I get it," Beth said, her demeanour easing with a wave of her hand. "My wife and I are big outdoors types, too. Y'know what? I'll ask around. And until you find something else, we're happy to have you. There are some good hikes around here, too. There's even a lovely li'l path around the lake." She jabbed her thumb over her shoulder, through the wall of windows, towards the forest.

Penelope leaned closer to the windows, squinting her eyes as she looked for the path Beth mentioned. It took her a moment to spot it, but there it was—a gap between the thick, green trees with a small path beneath them. Beth had been right; it did look lovely.