Fighting the Forest

"Kuma Charge!"

The first step I took was short but then my stride lengthened as I took off in a full sprint. Holding the samurai blade in front of me, I felt its strength resonating within me as I closed in on the group of ice golems.

Then, I took an explosive step, leaping into the air, a thin black steam trailing me as I soared through the air. I didn't waver as I approached the first golem, piercing through its heart as its chest collapsed in on itself.

Using the first golem as a foothold, I took another explosive step, maintaining my momentum as I set my sights on the next target. With one swift motion, I cleaved through the torso of the second ice golem, cutting through its heart as the towering creature dropped to the floor.

But I wasn't done there. I kept my focus on the next two golems, both stood side by side, sizing up a double pronged attack. With unexpected speed, the two ice creatures swung their arms down quickly.

Just as I felt the lower half of an ice golem collapse under my feet, I jumped directly upward, evading the clunky attacks. Yet, my opponents weren't done there. Still in mid-air, I twisted my body to dodge a flying spruce tree, the two golems doing everything they could to keep me from landing on the ground.

"Ha, you know that's not enough to stop me!" I tightened the grip on my blade, using one of the oncoming trees as a temporary foothold.

I lowered my stance, holding my blade beside my face, pointing the edge between the two ice golems as I soared through the air atop a flying spruce tree. I let out a short sigh, sizing up the targets as I made my move.

"Double Oni Slash!"

Cloaked in a hot red steam, I felt the burning edge of the blade glow with power. My grip tightened, aiming at the two golems as I leapt off of the flying tree, soaring through the sky.

Then in two swift, successive motions, I cut through the air with the glowing hot blade. Two blood red slashing waves cut through the air, tearing through the oncoming trees as they closed in on the two ice golems.

With no chance to evade, both towering ice creatures were cut vertically down the middle, their bodies severing from head to waist. I felt a deserving smile creep onto my lips as I landed on the muddy forest floor, totalling the number of kills at five so far.

I dared a glance over to Death who was keeping pace, cutting through the ice golems like they were made of paper. The competition was heating up but I was in no mood to lose here.

---

- Ariel-

---

"Territory? What does that even mean?"

Aaron posed the question to me, not quite understanding what I meant. At first, I didn't respond, only shaking my head as I stepped forward.

"Jade and Death are being preoccupied further into the woods." I paused for a moment, lifting my gaze to look through the treeline, "But there's something after us. I can sense its soul."

"Oh yeah, you can do that. By the way, how are you able to use your powers so easily?"

Once again, I didn't respond, sensing that this situation wasn't exactly appropriate for small talk.

Just as I was about to speak up again, another branch snapped directly behind me. I quickly spun on my heels, facing our original route as I looked down the muddy path but there was nothing there.