Review

What Is Inference?

Inference is using observation and background to reach a logical conclusion. You probably practice inference every day. For example, if you see someone eating a new food and he or she makes a face, then you infer he does not like it. Or if someone slams a door, you can infer that she is upset about something.

Before you can begin to practice inference in literature, you should know what you are looking for. Your goal is to find the intended meaning of the text. Intended meaning is what we think the author is trying to teach us.

Why is it important to make inferences? When writing a story, an author will not include all the information for us. He/she will expect us to read between the lines and reach conclusions about the text. When making inferences, you are looking beyond what is stated in the text and finding the ideas to which the author only hints. This makes you a more active reader and critical thinker. It also makes it easier to understand what the author is sharing with you.

You might not realize how often you derive conclusions from indications in your everyday life. These inferences help you make decisions about things like what you’ll say or how you’ll act in a given situation.

Sally arrives at home at 4:30 and knows that her mother does not get off of work until 5. Sally also sees that the lights are off in their house. Sally can infer that her mother is not yet home.

Sherry's toddler is in bed upstairs. She hears a bang and crying. Sherry can infer that her toddler is hurt or scared.

John hears a smoke alarm next door and smells burnt bacon. John can infer that his neighbor burnt her breakfast.

Jennifer hears her mailbox close and her dog is barking. Jennifer can infer that the postal carrier has delivered her mail.

Norman sees cookie crumbs on the floor and chocolate around his son's mouth. Norman can infer that his son ate a cookie.

The floor is covered in shreds of newspaper, and Susan's dog has a small piece of newspaper stuck in his fur. It can be inferred that Susan's dog ate the newspaper.

Sarah left a Payless Shoes bag on the floor and is wearing shiny red heels. It can be inferred that Sarah went shoe shopping at Payless.

What Is Observation?

The definition of an observation is the act of noticing something or a judgment or inference from something seen or experienced. An example of observation is the watching of Haley's Comet. An example of observation is making the statement that a teacher is proficient from watching him teach several times.

What are skimming and scanning.

Skimming and scanning are reading techniques that use rapid eye movement and keywords to move quickly through text for slightly different purposes. Skimming is reading rapidly in order to get a general overview of the material. Scanning is reading rapidly in order to find specific facts. While skimming tells you what general information is within a section, scanning helps you locate a particular fact. Skimming is like snorkeling, and scanning is more like pearl diving.

Use skimming in previewing (reading before you read), reviewing (reading after you read), determining the main idea from a long selection you don't wish to read, or when trying to find source material for a research paper.

Use scanning in research to find particular facts, to study fact-heavy topics, and to answer questions requiring factual support.

Sentence Structure.

Simple Sentence Structure
A simple sentence consists of one independent clause. (An independent clause contains a subject and verb and expresses a complete thought.)