Of Pigeons, Peaches and Poisons

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

🎃 𝐚 𝐬𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐥𝐲 𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐲 𝐡𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐥 🎃

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐞'𝐫𝐞 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤!!

𝐚𝐩𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐠𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 👻 𝐢𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐀 𝐓𝐢𝐦𝐞, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐜𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 (longest lockdown in the world ayyyyyy where's my medal?)

𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐰𝐚𝐲 𝐈 𝐠𝐨𝐭 𝐥𝐨𝐭𝐬 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐝! 𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐬𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐧𝐬, 𝐛𝐨𝐧𝐮𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬, 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐬 𝐞𝐭𝐜 𝐞𝐭𝐜 𝐞𝐭𝐜 -- 𝐬𝐨 𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐛𝐞 𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐟𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰 + 𝐯𝐨𝐭𝐞 + 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭! 𝐢𝐭 𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐦𝐞 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐚𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐞

𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐲 𝐜𝐫𝐨𝐰𝐝, 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐬 (𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐝𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐜 𝐢𝐧 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐠𝐨), 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐥𝐤𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬 𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝 🖤 𝐢𝐭'𝐬 𝐛𝐚𝐬𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐜𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐧

𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐩𝐬! 𝐛𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐧𝐣𝐨𝐲 𝐱

There is a film Jude can recall from her childhood

There is a film Jude can recall from her childhood. A ridiculous film. A relic from those fleeting years when she was still her mother's daughter.

For better or worse, it has played a part in the shaping of her.

She would have been six years old when she first saw it. It had been a sleepless night, plagued with tossing and turning and pleading for the sun to rise already. Eventually, she had heard her mother's door creak open, then the shfft-slap shfft-slap of her slippers padding down the stairs. The kettle had started boiling and the TV had turned on. Insomnia appeared to be a shared matter in the household that evening.

Jude had only needed to tiptoe down the stairs to aim a pair of pleading brown eyes at her mother, who quickly conceded to the midnight company with a huff. They snuggled beneath a blanket on the couch, sipping Ovaltine while flicking idly through channels. It was all nostalgic reruns and old movies at that hour.