IX. potion of haunting words

A/N:

so, i've finally outlined the story and there will be ten chapters in total. so, three more chapters to go plus the epilogue.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

POTION OF HAUNTING WORDS
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"THIS IS GOING to be the most mortifying moment in my life," Airaa mumbled as they stood on the doorstep of the Kline house. "Embarrassment is a light word."

"Whatever they say about you, just know that you are much cooler and smarter than them. You are amazing," he said, taking her hand.

"I can handle their critique, Jasper. Don't worry. I'm just worried about my appearance. I should be dressed better than – "

The door swung open. A plump woman with strawberry blonde hair faced us, her eyes shocked. She was in a maxi yellow dress. "Jasper, honey– I thought you had plans."

He shrugged. "Plans change, Mama. Especially when there's a storm chasing us." Raising their intertwined hands, he continued, "This is Airaa, my–"

"The girlfriend. Lovely meeting you, dear. We've been wanting to meet you for quite some time. Jasper said you weren't comfortable." She didn't mean it to be accusing.

"To be honest, I am still not comfortable. Especially looking like this," Airaa laughed nervously. "But I hope you don't mind that. I am sorry to intrude without letting you know."

"Oh, please don't worry about it. Come on in. You can leave your boots here," she said, pointing to a shoe stand. Airaa removed her heavily soaked coat and held it awkwardly in her hands. When she stepped into the living room, Airaa didn't expect so many pairs of eyes on her. She looked at Jasper for help.

"Schatje!"

An old woman hurried towards Jasper. Her hair was completely grey, her face drawn with wrinkles. The fact that she looked so beautiful amazed Airaa. "Oma! I didn't know you were coming," Jasper exclaimed, his face lighting like fireworks. He gathered his grandmother in his arms and hugged her feeble figure tightly. The exchange was so pure that it made my heart full.

Jasper's grandmother didn't care about how wet and cold he was. When they pulled away, she touched his dripping hair lightly and patted his shoulders. "I couldn't miss your birthday. I wanted to surprise you tomorrow."

Tomorrow was Jasper's birthday? Why the fuck didn't he tell her anything? Airaa's jaw clenched.

The grandmother and her grandson whispered something to each other and glanced at Airaa. "Um, hi. I'm Airaa," she introduced, stepping closer.

"Call me Liza, dear. And I've heard all about you. You two look perfect together, just like Janet described," she said and then turned to Jasper. "Schatje, take her upstairs and get changed into something warm. June, lend her fresh clothes to change into. I'll prepare my special tea for you and send it to your room. You can rest today. We'll talk later." Airaa's body relaxed at her words.

"I can't, Oma. I don't share my clothes with strangers, especially if they're careless enough to ruin their clothes in the rain," June said, her eyes running over Airaa's clothes. She sat on the couch before the fireplace, cross-legged and focused on her purple Iphone.

"It's okay. I don't think we are the same size anyway. I'll just borrow something of Jasper's. I'm not a stranger to him," Airaa said, smiling and stressing the stranger part. June rolled her eyes and pushed her brown hair back. Next to her was her twin Juan with similar hair and lips. Their noses were the only feature different from each other, but it was enough to make them look very distinct.