XI. vial of reconciliation

A/N:

I am trying to put together a playlist for this story. I should have done this a long time ago but I really don't know how that slipped my mind. Also, Never Not by Lauv is a beautiful song ;)

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

VIAL OF RECONCILIATION

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"ARE YOU OKAY?"

Airaa wasn't. Heartbreak wasn't a stranger to her but the pain felt new every single time. It had been three days since Jasper last spoke to her. She missed him terribly. Every single thing reminded her of him — her purple hair that he'd twirl between his fingers, the carrot cake she baked, the coffee-coloured scarf that she'd stolen from him, the sweater that they got drenched in and the letters on her body. It made her feel as if someone had snatched away a part of her.

"Yeah, I am," Airaa forced a smile for Fyn. "I'm just going to miss this bakery. Never mind. How is your boyfriend?"

Fyn gave her a funny look. "Did you hit your head somewhere, Mannan? Or is this you showing your true self because you won't be coming here anymore?"

"Um, both?" she joked but her lips trembled in the end and a tear rolled onto her cheeks. She wiped it quickly and looked away. "Sorry. Where should I leave my apron?"

"Mannan."

Airaa turned and glanced at Fyn through blurry eyes.

"C'mere," he said but Airaa stood still, her head low and tears slipping from her eyes. He sighed and wrapped an arm around her. Fyn smelled of cinnamon and roasted cashew.

"You might be closed off and cold to many but I see how your eyes light up whenever loverboy comes in. You deserve love and happiness in your life as well, okay? Don't keep running in your life. Slow down and look around. Pause for a little bit and take some time for yourself. And if you pass by this corner, come and say hi. Contrary to what you think, I would really love that. Maybe I could introduce my boyfriend to you and you could introduce loverboy to me," Fyn said, rubbing her shoulders.

She pressed her eyes close, squeezing the tears out. She let out a sniffle and pulled back, running her hand over her nose. "Thank you for saying that, Fyn. It really means a lot."

"Now go. Your friend is waiting for you," he patted her back and went into the kitchen. Zim was standing near the glass door. I joined her at an empty table.

"Hey. He hasn't spoken to you yet?" Zim asked.

"No. I'm okay. I know he'll come back soon," Airaa quickly said. "I called you to discuss something else."

"Yeah? What's up?"

"I'm sure Jasper filled you in on what happened. So, the last two vials of potion broke and got wasted. But, there was extra potion to fit one vial. I didn't want to give it to one customer and cancel another because that wouldn't be fair. So, I refunded the money back to both of them. And..." Airaa pulled out one vial. "I still have this and I want you to have it. I know you wanted it. Keep it as a thank you for all the help you've done for me."

"Airaa..."

The elder took a deep breath. "And it's also an apology for treating you the way I did. You are a good person, Zim."