Newt x reader (one shot)

In another Lifetime
Pairings | Newt x gn!reader
Warnings | death, violence,
Word count | 1.1k
Summary | after you watch your best friend, Newt, die, you're much more liberal about losing your own life. Little did you know that wasn't the last time you'd ever be seeing him

"Thomas?" Your voice cracked, knees knocking together as you saw who the boy was holding

"No no no no." Thomas was weeping, hands clutching Newt tightly. Someone was screaming. It was heartbreaking, the screams only growing louder.

You looked around, but no one seemed to be making a sound. It was only when your knees had hit the ground that you realised that it was you screaming.

Minho could feel his heart burn, shatter as he watched the scene unfold. Thomas' desperate denial, your broken sobs and piercing shrieks, Newt's lifeless body painted in taunting veins and streaks of inky black.

Time seemed to stand still. No one even registered the thud of Gally losing grip on his helmet, or the boom of a distant building toppling to the ground.

"We need to go." Gally said, voice weak as he cleared his throat. Minho nodded, but didn't move.

"He promised me." You mumbled, the statement ripped apart by hiccups. "He promised me that he'd say goodbye."

"Y/n-" Minho started, but you had a sudden wave of anger wash over you.

"This is your fault." Your eyes burned as you looked up at Thomas, "you could have saved him, but you were selfish!" You screamed, ready to launch yourself at the boy.

But a pair of strong arms encased you, right around your waist - holding you back.

"We don't have time for this!" Minho shouted from behind you, voice loud in your ear.

"We need to go, the guards are catching us." Gally added, stood awkwardly, unsure of what to do.

"Just get me away from him." You spat, and began to walk in the direction of the meeting point.

Minho gave Thomas an apologetic look and jogged after you, gun in hand in case they came across anyone else who may hurt them.

...
It was much harder escaping than you'd all anticipated. Someone had tipped off the guards to the meeting point, so once you got close you were ambushed.

There were people attacking from all angles, and that wasn't even to mention the collapsing buildings from the raiders. 

You shot your launcher again, hitting your target as one of the men made to attack Minho. The man came crashing down to the floor, convulsing with the electric shocks now running through his body.

Minho glanced over to you, and you both gave each other a nod before moving onto your next attackers.

"We're outnumbered!" Fry shouted over the chaos.

"We need to move on, or else we'll never make it!" Gally said in agreement, slamming his fist into one of their noses before delivering a hash knee to their stomach. The attacker went down with a groan of pain.

"You guys go ahead, me and y/n will catch you up!" Thomas decided, and the three boys shared a look. You grunted as you blocked a blow from a woman, her black uniform cutting uncomfortably into your skin as you held her back. "Go!"

"We're not getting out of here!" You exclaimed to Thomas, hatred in your voice as the woman broke your grip and shoved you to the floor.

You began to crawl back, but she hit the floor with a loud thud before she could do anything else. You swept your gaze to Thomas for a split second, who gave you a nod. You scoffed and hoisted yourself up to standing again.

Three more people in black uniform emerged from an alleyway, guns blazing. You made your decision in the split second it took for Thomas to dive out of the way of a launcher.

"Go." You said firmly, making your way over to Thomas.

"What? Y/n, what do you mean-"

"I said go, Thomas. I may bloody well hate you right now, but you're the only hope for a cure and I can't have more people dying." You explained, giving Thomas a tearful glance before raising your launcher.

"Y/n, I'm sorry." Thomas croaked, looking torn.

"Go!" You yelled as the three guards advanced, only mere meters away now. "And Thomas?" You added. The boy turned to you, ready to run.

"Save them. Save them all, like you could have saved Newt." Were your last words to the boy before you charged towards the three guards.

"Y/n, what are you doing?" Thomas shouted, but began to run nonetheless.

The second he heard the explosion, Thomas froze. He whipped his head around, eyes burning with sadness as he saw the wreckage. And no sign of you.

...
"Shuck me, that klunk kills." You muttered, groaning loudly as you sat up slowly. You tentatively touched your head, instantly regretting your action with a wince.

"So, what'd you do? I'm sure it was dramatic as hell." A familiar voice crooned from above you, and you looked up with a smile to see Newt smirking down at you.

You took a look around, the blinding daylight already causing a headache to seep in. It was the glade, but, well, happier. The boys hustled about, going on with their daily tasks as if nothing had happened.

Except there was no Thomas, no Gally or Minho. Even Fry was nowhere in sight.

"Oh, y'know. I just set off a grande whilst it was still attached to me." You said cockily, accepting Newt's hand. He helped you stand up, and the second you were on your feet he was tackling you in a bear hug.

"I missed you." He mumbled into your neck and you chuckled.

"You only got here an hour before me." You jested, jokingly punching his upper arm.

Newt only grinned, ear to ear, in return. You mirrored his expression.

"Hey, do me a favour?" Newt suddenly asked, grabbing your hand to lead you over to the homestead.

"What?" You asked, swinging your joined hands.

"Don't blame Tommy. He was just as confused as the rest of us, and had no bloody clue who to trust." Newt said, easing a brow.

"What're we blaming Thomas for?" Alby pondered. Your eyes blew wide when realisation sunk in.

"Alby!" You flung yourself at him, the older boy taking a few steps back on the impact before laughing in disbelief with you. 

"Hey, y/n. Long time no see." The man smiled as you pulled back. You whacked him on the arm before pulling him back into a tight embrace.

"That was for that stupid bloody klunk you pulled. 'Let go'? Piss off, Alby." You said, but no real malice laced your voice.

"I'll keep that in mind next time." Alby chuckled and Newt grinned.

You were home.