18 | illicit affairs

The two days in contempt went on surprisingly, without a hitch

The two days in contempt went on surprisingly, without a hitch. For the rest if it, it was nothing more than a normal day at work. For a minute I thought that I would suddenly plunge into this life wholly of camera angles and bastard rumours. Incredibly, Daniel said he spoke to some people to make sure my address stays exclusive only to me. Whatever he did, it surely worked and I can’t even say how relieved I was for that. 

It all went by so quickly that by the time office hours had finished yesterday, I was headed straight home to pack. Suddenly it occurred to me that we are going to a beach house in late November like some lunatic. Not only will it be cold but it will be freezing. I’ve had a few trips to Cornwall before and none of them included the splitting winter. Though, I guess it's the perfect rendezvous.

Think about it, a beach house in November? No one would suspect anyone who goes there—most probably. 

He asked me where I would like to meet at two am but I suggested we meet somewhere closer to him. When he said that where he was, the media never slept I figured he was right. Must suck to think some random person could jump out at you in the middle of a street with a long camera in hand.

Feeling rather responsible, I suggested meeting at the back of the Metro Shopping Centre where I live close by. Luckily for us, parking is free which means I can leave my car here for as long as needed. So, here I stood, leaning against my car wrapped in a cashmere coat trying to warm up by the hood; waiting for him.

It’s so quiet being out here this early. In the distance, I can only hear a few cars swishing by; getting to places they hoped they’d be before sunrise. Breathing in the smell of dawn, my lungs filled with the cold winter’s breath and as I breathed out, it broke off into a mist and I watched, hugging myself tightly. I look up and to my dismay, the city doesn’t exactly make the best place to look for stars. Everything further than what my hand could touch is muted by the loud metropolitan lights. There’s nothing worse than knowing something is out there but not quite seeing it. 

I see headlights flash on my peripheral and I turn to it, putting my hand above my brows trying to see clearly. When I looked through the darkened window, I saw Daniel’s expert eyes watching where he manoeuvres his car to. My heart jumped at the sight of him, something it had never done before until now.

Once he was out, he found me and I found him already with a big smile. Swiftly, I ran to my car and turned off the engine, taking my luggage out from the boot. Daniel follows suit and that’s when I got a good look at him.

Such a silly thing when I was taken aback by the fact that he wasn’t in his usual suit. I had it in mind that that was his only wardrobe—but that would have been ridiculous. As of right now, however, he wore a tan jumper with a short coat over it and khaki jeans to pair. I smiled, noticing the messy hair that he wore so elegantly as he picked up my luggage to take to his car.

“Sorry for the wait, I had to confirm to my team where I’m going,” he explained, his usually gravelly voice sounding a little nasal. 

“No worries,” I scrunch up my nose, feeling the cold prick it. “You’re just on the dot at two. Going at one-thirty would have been ridiculous.”