39 | mother, mother

The following weeks were a blur of technical restraining orders and business requiem in which both Daniel and I were engorged into the world of mini-interviews

The following weeks were a blur of technical restraining orders and business requiem in which both Daniel and I were engorged into the world of mini-interviews. Of course Daniel made sure it was those types of interviews with no more than two questions so there's not much of an interest there.

Two weeks following the hideous events of New Year's Eve, Daniel came back to me with the news that he's filed for a restraining order both for me and his company against Leo. To avoid any public interest it was done under wraps. Of course I was happy yet, now and again I find myself thinking about what I would do if one day Leo came trudging down my street and into my home. Surely by now the only thing left for him to do is kill me — he almost did to begin with. So yes, the restraining order did provide a peace of mind and Daniel knew that, but she also understood that no amount of signed legal documents can take away what had happened. Sometimes it stirs in the back of my mind, asking for trouble. Other times, Daniel kissed them away.

When I told him I'd seen Mallory with Leo it didn't surprise him at all. He explained thoroughly that Mallory could hold a grudge like a gator would its prey. Her big bad claws gripped tightly. When he suggested he speak with her I told him no. Partly because I don't want him anywhere close to her and partly because I know she wouldn't do anything about it. Nor would she be punished for it — his father never is.

Of course, Tobias. One of the many thoughts that surfed in the waves of my overthinking. As fast as time went weeks into our public appearance, Tobias' haunting words remained contained. Everything he said about me though was true. Three weeks after the fact, I still find myself feeling guilty. Tobias' gave me a warning and Daniel gave me a choice to leave. I chose not to heed any of the men's words but now it becomes that plaguing thought in the back of my mind. Tobias made it clear he's got some plans for me and I could easily be taken away from that if I had just said that I didn't love Daniel and walked away. But who would I be lying to really? Still, I kept it to myself. I didn't want Daniel coming up with another idea to try and 'save' me as he's already done too many times.

The final week of January, as I'm enjoying bathing in the winter sun while I finish my breakfast routine my eyes flickered to my calendar. I stared at the bright pink heart on today's date and I groaned. It's that time of the month. That time when my birth control pills are running low and I need to go for a feminine check up. I stood there, sipping coffee wondering if I should go or not. It's been a hectic few weeks in my life that I can't even remember the last time I just sat down and took care of myself. It's all been about public interest, Daniel, the Hearst Enterprises...ugh. What have I become?

I put my mug down on the counter, the lingering smell of bacon and eggs mixing with the warm coffee. Perhaps going to my bi-monthly checks would provide some kind of normality in my already very abnormal life. Maybe I could even go out for a spa treatment today — just for myself.

"Oh crap," I exclaimed, my eyes scanning down the calendar again.

First of February — Daniel's birthday.