Chapter 9: A Demon's Emotions

It was simply another Friday two weeks later. Remus went to school, then hung around with Cortney before returning home. Remus was preparing to go to school. He didn't mind walking because it was only a 30-minute stroll. He yelled his goodbyes up the stairs and walked out the door without locking it because Lydia usually leaves a few minutes after him. Betelgeuse was still sleeping in the home. The Maitlands and Deetzes had no choice but to bunk him in the spare room with Remus. Betelgeuse slept on a black and white striped hammock while Remus slept in a single bed. Three of the walls were a baby yellow pastel, but one was a light pebble grey. There were two sets of white wooden drawers, each with two little ones on top and two regular ones beneath them. They each received one set. Next to a vertical decorative radiator was a tall white single door wardrobe. There was a white desk in the rear corner with a wooden chair that Adam had built out of scrap wood from the attic. Betelgeuse's striped jacket hung on the back of the chair. A little lamp in the shape of a sandworm's tail, a pencil pot with coloured and plain pencils, and another one for pens were all on the desk. Betelgeuse began working from home, visiting the Neitherworld only to turn in paperwork or attend a meeting. Remus used it for his homework when he wasn't using it. They kept their school and work belongings on the bottom of the desk, divided by a sheet of metal. Remus had his school books in one half, which were all organised in a certain chronological order. He also has distinct coloured folders to separate different subjects. Betelgeuse didn't have a lot of work, so all he had was his briefcase, a few extra boxes of paper and ink, and the papers and forms he needed to complete. Both had their own bedside table. Remus retained all of his vital belongings, including medicine, his box of eyes, and his testosterone, which he had yet to inform the Maitlands and Deetzes about. Betelgeuse just tossed items in there at random, hoping that he would remember where he placed them and find them. Remus was busy with his schoolwork. The demon, on the other hand, had a lot of spare time today. He wanted to spend it asleep, but he experienced the same nightmare he had been having for a long time. It was the one where he hung himself at the bridge, but when he awoke, he was in his mother's office, a terrible expression on her face, preparing to harm him. He panted and wiped the sweat from his brow as he startled up. He drew the blanket he'd used to cover him back up to him, high enough to cover his entire neck. He couldn't get the pictures of all the blood and bruises Juno had inflicted on him out of his head. He refused to give in, although it was difficult. He snuck inside the bathroom, knowing it was the only room with a lock. Adam was whistling to himself upstairs in the attic, doing his normal woodwork. When he heard the sound of faint muffled tears, he was interrupted. He went to the bathroom after hearing the noise and carefully opened the door. He anticipated Lydia or Delia to be there, perhaps because she wasn't feeling well and didn't go to school or work, but it was Betelgeuse who surprised him.

"Betelgeuse? What's the matter?" Adam came in to help.

"What? Nothing! I'm perfectly fine! I'm only peeing! Goodbye!" Betelgeuse was about to walk away when Adam grabbed his arm.

"Hey, you don't seem to be feeling well, do you want to talk?"

"Yes..." Betelgeuse brushed away a few tears.

"Do you think you're okay?" Adam gave a soothing grin, hoping to cheer up the demon.

Betelgeuse returned the smile. He despised how Adam's sweet grin made him feel.

"I had a nightmare and needed to cry," he explained. Betelgeuse sighed and slammed the door shut behind him so he could lean against it. Adam snatched his arm and turned to face him.

"Let's go to my room, and I'll help you relax." Adam led the demon inside his room and yanked the cover from his bed. He commanded Betelgeuse to lie down, which he did reluctantly. On Adam's directions, he lay down and made himself comfortable. He saw Adam take a pillow and carefully elevate his head, pushing the cushion beneath it. He also draped the blanket over him, securely enveloping him. He tucked the blanket under his flanks and gripped his ankles, carefully raising them up and folding the bottom underneath them. He took a step back to study the demon, who was curled up like a burrito in a tight ball. "I understand how strange you are feeling; it's fine to be nervous. But, because you're going through a difficult time, it's fine if you nap here." Adam made an offer. Betelgeuse chose to stay put because he was already nestled up, so he nodded.