Chapter 12: Strange Surprise

Remus was quick to start calling Betelgeuse 'Dad,' though he did call him 'Uncle' on occasion in the first week out of habit. After that first week, it was all about family events, and they loved every minute of it. It really drew them closer together and made them inseparable. Apart from when they were at school or at work, they spent all of their time together. This day was no exception. While Adam was preparing a fish pie for dinner with salmon, haddock, cod, and fillets, as well as a parsley sauce and potatoes, Barbara was cleaning up around the home, Delia was in her room, doing life coach training, and Lydia was on facetime with one of her friends in her room, and Charles was in the shower at the time. Remus and Betelgeuse were left alone, so they chose to watch a movie. They wanted to see a festive film but also a scary film as it got closer to Christmas, so they opted on Gremlins. Remus was becoming used to being a half-demon, thanks to Betelgeuse's instruction on how to use his abilities responsibly. His teachings began very immediately. Telekinesis was the first skill he mastered because it was the simplest to master, starting with only a pen and progressing to larger things. He was still a little sloppy with them at times, but his powers weren't as strong as a demon's. They were perched just over a ghost. "Hey. Would you like to learn a new skill?" With a grin, Betelgeuse inquired.

"Sure. "Why not?" Remus gave a kind grin.

"How about possession?" Betelgeuse had made a suggestion.

"Sure. How do you do it?" Remus inquired.

"It's simple. Any ghost can do it in less than one lesson." Betelgeuse gave a warm smile. "Okay! Just think about who you'd like to possess." Remus gazed at Adam, who was just placing the fish pie in the oven, as Betelgeuse muttered.

"Adam." Remus spoke in hushed tones.

"Explain to me what you want him to do?" Betelgeuse remarked, his gaze falling on his son's smile.

"It's a pleasant surprise!" Remus spoke in hushed tones.

"Okay. Concentrate your energies, focus hard, and visualise him doing what you desire." Betelgeuse was acting like a genuine teacher. Remus concentrated but was unable to complete the task. He twitched Adam's arm a little, but that was it. "It's all right. I didn't think you'll be able to accomplish it the first time. That would have been extraordinary." Betelgeuse spoke in hushed tones to his half-demon son. Remus focused harder, his hearing went blurred and his brain became confused. Both of them watched as Adam's powerful stance was swiftly emptied and replaced by panic as he felt a familiar violation. Remus was in control this time as his body went limp for a few seconds before bursting back to life. Adam started singing all of a sudden. He began by singing adagio to the song "I Dreamed A Dream" from Les Misérables. He started off slowly, but quickly found himself belting out the ballad. Barbara shook her head and fixed her gaze squarely on her spouse.

"Adam! QUIT TALKING. YOU ARE WAY TOO LOUD! "NONE OF US CAN HERE!" she screamed as he went into full swing, waltzing over to the demon, grabbing his hand in his and slow dancing with him, now roaring out the words. In his defence, it was a feminine voice for the character of Fantine, hence he was off tune. Remus paused for a while, considering the possibility of dressing Adam in a highly revealing gown, but decided against it as he watched Adam gently dance with the demon. "ADAM!" Barbara exclaimed a third time before noting his blank expression. She rapidly realised this, as well as the fact that there was only one kid who was a theatre kid, who happened to be half-demon, to boot. "Remus. Stop it right now!" She shouted, and Adam came to a halt, looking about perplexed, and Betelgeuse broke out laughing, before realising Remus had begun to shake, and apologising in a low level voice, the same tone he used when he was in trouble with his foster parents.