iii

Anastasia grabbed her book bag before stepping out of her car and walking towards the school

Anastasia grabbed her book bag before stepping out of her car and walking towards the school. When she neared the front of the school, she reached into her bag and reached around in it, trying to find her phone. She needed to call Caroline. The night before, her mother had called, requesting her presence back home, something about 'there was an animal attack and she was needed home'. The brunette had not heard from her since, causing a pit to form in her stomach.

She had called 13 times now, and normally Caroline answered the first time. The two had made plans for them to ride to school together, Anastasia had waited 20 minutes before realizing that she wasn't going to come and got her own car.

After hearing Caroline's voicemail, the girl left a message. "Hey, Care. Can you call me? I'm worried. You don't even need to call, just text. Please. By the way, Maddie wanted me to tell you to 'have a picklelicious day'. Whatever that means. Okay, I'm gonna go to school now. Bye."

Anastasia put her phone back into her bag with a sigh before walking through the front doors.

School had ended and Cheer practice was about to start. Anastasia was sitting on the bleachers next to Bonnie, both dressed in cheer outfits. Anastasia and Caroline were the co-captains of the cheer squad, which was why the brunette was really worried. It had been radio silence on Caroline's end. Not one call or text, she hadn't even read Anastasia's texts, and Anastasia knew that this was not Caroline.

If the blonde was sick, she would have been texting Anastasia constantly throughout the day, making sure she was completely caught up in everything. And after she scolded Anastasia for missing school and not texting, it was even weirder that she had done the same thing the very next day.

"Have you seen Caroline?" Bonnie questioned her friend.

Anastasia sighed as she looked towards her. "You haven't heard from her either?"

"No." Bonnie shook her head.

Anastasia's face could only portray a sliver of the worry she felt for her best friend. "I've called and texted her like a million times. She hasn't even read them! Do you think she's okay? I mean, we would've heard from Liz ifshe was seriously injured or something. Right?"