Chapter 01: The Unyielding Mozen, a World Bearing Death (2)

Mozen's sight shifts to the window and as does the raging owl who felt stifled, one was eerily calm, the other falling into panic.

Following the disturbance the trees violently sway, the clouds churn into a whirlpool, pulsating like a heartbeat, twisting endlessly. In the center of the most chaotic reaction an eerie sensation grips at the heartstrings, pulling them tight, forcing all matters of attention to not dare to look elsewhere.

There amongst the white a line split the sky, disgorging fire, a deep shade of blood, seemingly racing to escape this unusual anomaly.

Shira's blue eyes dilate and fright overwhelms her heart.

She reaches out for her friend's shoulders and shakes them. "Get up! There's still time. You can still leave. With me here, not even Liu Rougang can dream of touching you. Come now Mozen, what's stopping you? There's nothing. Nothing I tell you! Nothing at all. So why, why aren't you doing anything?"

Her beak snapped close, waiting. With only the chittering birds answering, dread sets in and panic forces fear to blurt out, "Luo Luo, do you want to die again!?"

"That's enough Shira—–you've done enough. Just let it go. Let me go." Mozen lifts her eyes and pats Shira's shoulder in unwanted reassurance.

"Now—– I hope you won't blame me for not seeing you out." She lightly pushes her friend away, the carefree smile on her face springing forth tears in the latter's eyes.

Shira's beak hung open then closed into a tight frown. Her wings fall from Mozen's shoulders and she whimpers. "Luo Luo——– Luo Luo please. I don- don't want to lose my only friend."

As a loner, she had only this single friend. If she were gone, what would she do then? "Who am I to go to when no else wants me?"

As the eccentric owl of the west, Shira had many names. The Eyes of Wisdom, Clear Cut Looking Glass, A Feather of Truth, Thousands of Steps in One.

These names all spun tales of her talents in astrology, the eyes that see through thousands of truths and lies to pick out a star hidden in the vast sky. But behind these superfluous titles, bogged down in the mud, she sinks in the saliva and curses of those unwilling to hear the 'truth' they sought.

Berated and scorned, pursued and hunted. Pushed into the corner riddled with injuries, she had none to lean on for all hated her. Even those that gained disliked her no less than those who'd lost. Attempting to silence once the job had been paid for.

All but this friend, no one else but Luo Luo treats her like a living being with a heart. No one else but her ever cared for the life named Shira.

Silently Mozen watches over her longtime companion shaking like a leaf in the wind whilst one tear after the other falls to the wooden floor. She opens her mouth to speak——–but in the end she hesitates.

Ultimately she kept her silence and looked back to the window. "Shira. It's time for you to go. Leave and never return."

Horrifyingly startled, Shira raised her head, the tears scattered into the air as her beak hung open in utter disbelief.

To fathom how cold, how merciless her friend had become felt nigh impossible. No this couldn't be real! Was this the same Luo Luo who hadn't a single hateful bone in her body? Even if done in the name of protection, the Luo Luo she knew could never act so perfectly. This was real, so real that a sense of incongruency dizzied her mind. Oh how utterly confused and betrayed she was.

Aggrieved and weighed down in heavy disappointment, Shira turns around to leave but stops. She looked back, wanting to say more, but she instead heaved a sigh.