Chapter 06: Fig Branch Lost in a Dream (III)

"Her fever has risen again?" Doctor Termit spoke loudly in disbelief.

His pen falls backwards out of his hand, and clangs to the ground, the ink bursts out like a firework blooming in the night sky, seeping steadily into the compacted dirt floor. The crisp hit pushed him out from his chair and passed his desk. Forgetting his cane, he nearly ran over himself to reach the end of the tent with bag in hand.

Fast working Doctor Rasha had already removed the sheets by the time he got there, including the mattress now resting against the wall. Looking at it now, the bed no longer looked like a bed, but a small tub that barely reached above the shoulders when lying on one's back.

Although odd, this design served a purpose. It made it easier for submersive treatment. Filling the tub like furniture, which had adjustable edges, with medical baths, water for essence therapy, and even for ideal poison or infection removal. They even had a case of infected blood that needed to be filtered out of the body, purified, then filtered back in.

For Hong Luo, her treatment was not as complex, it could even be called elementary. Despite her terrible condition, sometimes simple was better than advanced.

Doctor Rasha fills the bed with water essence she pulls from the air, covering Hong Luo, whilst leaving her airways unblocked. Matching the temperature of her body, Doctor Rasha very gradually adjusts the coolness of the water. Again she went through the grueling process of controlling that dastardly fever that refused to break.

Although she would rather prefer the fever to run its course, but that was under the condition that it did not kill the patient, turning up the heat far passed what the brain could handle, and ultimately cooking it. She did not and will not let her little patient become brain dead!

"Rasha, uncover her arm." She nodded and did so immediately.

Doctor Termit had pulled from his bag a jar of clear medicine. He'd stuck a needle into it, filled the syringe half way, and was now pushing that needle into a vein. "That's the fourth shot, she can't have anymore after that. 4 to 6 hours, that's all the time we have, if her fever spikes again, we may need to transfer her to the ice pond, and request that cunning old snake from the capital."

Doctor Rasha recovers that arm and scoffs, "No, it's best we just prepare for a kidnapping. He'd never willingly come here. That snake would drain the tribe's finances dry, make us wait for half a month, then sadly iterate how busy he'd become and simply can't make it. And by the time he'd finally decided on coming, Xiao Luo will either be dead or dead! Kidnapping is the only option."

"You're right," Doctor Termit nods, "but how to be done and who to send? Should we cause some trouble as a distraction, set fire to his wine house, or maybe even just burn down his clinic entirely? The chances of even a single patient being there are nil impossible after all. There was a higher chance of catching the emperor with his pants down."

The two elderly doctors nonchalantly plan out a kidnapping whilst checking over their patient's condition. They laugh, they sigh, a nefarious topic turns into casual conversation spoken of over tea and snacks.

To strangers just peeking in on such a sight without context, or even with context, chills crawling the spine would be least of their concerns. Running away and avoiding detection would be the highest priority.

On the other hand to those who know these two, it's just another day the two crazies are at again. If they aren't at each other's throats they're teaming up to go at someone else's. And whomever it may be, they have their utmost sympathies, but also deep inside the gossip bug couldn't wait to hear the details, then watch the drama unfold.

News quickly spreads amongst this tight knit community. The guards outside had already told one, then two, and onto a dozen others. Those others also told one, then two, the news spreading like wildfire. At this point, in less than an hour, there was no one who did not know that another poor victim had been targeted.