1. Find out who you are and do it on purpose

I sigh and in return my sister gives me a disapproving look.

Alder sits up "Sighing, V? Really on purpose? Your supposed to be positive when we're all not"

"Alder? What-" groans a tired Ainsley rubbing her dry eyes.

"Ah, great you've woken up your sister. Great job, Alder" I say, forcing sarcasm into my words.

"Yeah. You've woken me up. Why so moody-" Then Ainsley stops herself, as if she realised something, her eyes turning cold.

"What? What is it?" I say confusion crossing my mind.

"The reaping. It's in a week today." Ainsley looks down on herself. Happily being swallowed by her thoughts.

Wonderful. The reaping. Id completely forgot.

Where one male, one female will be chosen to be sent away to the capitol and forced into and arena where they must fight for their life.

It really was horrible. Too horrible to even think about.

"Come on guys I know it's your first time but your names are only in there once it'll all be okay. I know it's horrible but there's no way you'll be chosen." I say trying to cheer up the twins

"Yeah but your names been in 6 times already. Right?" Alder says

"Yes that's right but hey I've survived it 6 times already too. And you can as well." I pat Ainsley on the back, startling her out if a daze "Come on I bet mums made breakfast"

I grab my sisters hands and pull them off the bed, trotting downstairs.

Our family was never rich. We weren't sleeping in the streets or anything we had a small house. 2 floors, 2 bedrooms, 2 rooms downstairs. It was made out of wood and some bricks. There'd be that odd leak through the roof here and there but that was normal to us. Though I'm thankful for not staying in a flat with other people. That's the worst it can be. People talk in the district and it's meant to be horrible.
In district 4 we're made out to be one of the richer districts. And to be honest we probably are though that only dreads me to think how the others districts have it so I always try not to think about that.
In the district we have 3 different neighbourhoods. The one where I live there's just rows and rows of houses. Most almost identical to mine. Some are little bungalows and some are tall skinny buildings. Everybody's nice. And the peacekeepers love taking about their home district. Most peacekeepers are from district 2 and they come here to make sure everything stays in place.

"Mother?" I call from the living room, walking into the kitchen

"Oh hello dear! I put some bread over the fire for a bit so it's nice and crispy. Help yourself to the butter in the cabinet, there's loads, thanks to Elm."

"Thank you mom" I say giving her a smile.

Our mom works really hard for the three of us. My Dad passed away when I was 5 due to a heart attack. The twins were too young to remember him but I do. He was a very proud man. Always happy to be around his family. Now that he's gone it's been hard for mom but she's done really good with us. We use our cow, Elm, for milk, butter and cheese and I go out hunting with my crossbow for meats as I prefer it to fish food. It belonged to my dad but he never used it so I learned and I've become really good with it.

To hunt I must cross over a fence in a pacific area to where our only forest is.
Most of district 4 is surrounded by water but there's a little place where a woodland lives. With creatures from the tallest deer to the smallest squirrels. Of course I rarely ever see deer but when I do it's very special.
I had to cut a whole under the fence to get in as it's the fence that leads out of the district so I'm always really careful. It's very beautiful when I leave the district. It's like getting fresh air.
Clean air. It feels free.
So I work on the meat. My sisters take care of Elm and make the products from her like my mother showed them. And my mother has a little job down by the docks where she works with the boats and the fishing nets. I try to sell as much meat as I can if my family isn't going to eat it so I can get a pretty penny from it.

Today is a Saturday which means I'm meeting Annie by the fence to feel free again. We do this every Saturday as we have no school.

I quickly finish off my toast and leave, waving goodbye to my mother and sisters.

I pass through the streets and they seem quite quiet and empty like they usually are on Saturdays as everybody sleeps in.
I make my way north towards the fence where Annie would stand waiting on me.

Annie Cresta was my friend. Probably my only friend. She'd been my friend for as long as I could remember and she was the one who was there for me on my first reaping day. She helped me through it. Annie is kind. She has beautiful bright red hair and you could spot her anywhere. She lives down 27 houses infront of me so I never minded visiting her and her family. And Annie she was obsessed with this rich man named Finnick odair. Finnick odair lived where the rich people did. A different, small neighbourhood called the victors village. He lived there because he won the hunger games. 3 years ago. He was only 14 and the youngest ever to win. I'd always wish to ask him what it was like but it seemed traumatising enough. The games changed you. Everybody somehow knew that. Finnick was nice. He was. I'm not really close to him but he makes Annie happy so I'm okay with that.

I finally reach the point where the bright green grass brushes against my black boots.

"Only 5 more minutes" I say to myself as a pathetic type of self motivation. It was quite tiring climbing uphill.

And there she was. Annie stood at the fence waving her hand sarcastically at me.

When I reach her I say "What?"

"Why so tired, solider?"

"Oh shut up its hot today" I roll my eyes

Annie just laughs and slips under the fence and I follow her.

________________

A/N: Hello everybody! Welcome to the first chapter of my story I hope you enjoyed it so far. Give me criticism and things it means a lot I will accept it. If anything doesn't make any sense please tell me and I will correct myself and sorry for the spelling mistakes I'm pretty tired. Anyways, I'm really excited to write this story and hope it didn't bore you. Have a lovely day, readers <3