3. Clue of the Wooden Map

I spin around to see a green snake curled up against a trees root.

"Don't worry, Annie, it's bites don't do much harm"

"Ugh Come on, V." Annie's tone was washed with worry "You've heard the stories"

"Yes, fake stories." I turn back to Annie and she gives me a disapproving look "Okay okay just be quiet don't move,"

"There supposed to make you go mad," Annie was now whispering "Like president snow"

I didn't believe in any of these stories "Annie please stop worrying yourself,"

"Okay okay"

"Right now listen to me, Annie, we're gonna go sidewards so we can keep our eyes on the snake."

I start walking sidewards and Annie follows behind then the snake begins hissing again. It is definitely threatened by us but I know that it won't be afraid to pounce and I'm not going home with venom in my blood.

"Deep in the meadow. Under the the willow" Annie starts singing

"Annie? What the hell we're trying to be quiet"

"Singing comforts me when I'm stressed. Would you rather me screaming or singing?"

"Ugh fine but keep it at a whisper"

Annie nods at me and continues singing

Somehow, as bizarre as it seemed Annie's singing somehow made the snake back off and slither away.

"Wow did that just happen?" I say, confused

"Uhh I don't know"

"Well if it did we'll never have to worry about snakes again" I giggle

"Let's go home" Annie lets out some air she seemed to be keeping in for ages.

"Yeah," I say

We start heading back and I see something strange, again.

I point to the sky. "Is that... mocking birds?" Then I realise "Mockingjays"

A cross breed between the capitols birds, jabberjays and from a natural specie, mocking birds.

"Somethings definitely not right" Annie finally says

"Aren't they supposed to be in the somewhere like district 12?" I turn to look at Annie

She's still looking at the sky "Yeah"

"I've never seen them here before" I say

"Do you think if I sing they'll sing back?" Annie smiles

"They're not pure jabberjays so they'll only tweet the tune back"

"Fine by me" Annie looks so excited and then she began to improvise a melody with her beautiful voice.

Then as we expected they tweeted it back exactly as Annie sung it.

"That's so cool, let's head off"

And then the mockingjays were out of sight and we continue home.

During the walk through the forest I notice a grey squirrel on a tree.

"Looks like todays dinner" I say giving a warm smile

"Can you just get some fish?"

"Fish sucks. I have it all the time I'm sick of it. Some squirrel would be nice and my sisters would love it."

"What are you going to use to kill it?"

"I don't know I think I have a safety knife in my  bag full of brambles. Let me check. Found it"