2. Snakes Of The Creek

My arms scrapes against something sharp and I let out a small cry.

"The hell?" Annie's head flashes to face mine. She gives me a concerning look then glances to my hand that's gripping my arm. "Nettle? Oh silly, V. 16 years old and cutting her arms on nettles." Annie smiles and continues skipping through the forest.

I scoff. "So what I bet you've done it a million times,"

Annie just laughs "Come on let's find some dope leaves for that."

I continue following Annie even though I know where I'm going. To the stream. Me and Annie would usually wonder off there as it was beautiful. The sound of every own little river flowing through the pebbles and soil, the smell of amaryllis, spotted mushrooms and dark thick bark that clasped the trees. We'd just sit there for a while before we went hunting. Chatting. Laughing. Or just sitting there breathing in the fresh air.

"You know why I love the forest, Viridian?" Annie picks a trillium and pops in in her hair like it was made for her.

"I guess your gonna tell me?"

"Because it's nothing like district 4. No smell of the sea. There's long Dark 'Viridian' trees" She laughed at her bad joke "Just like. Like district 12"

"Yeah Annie your absolutely right for once. Except i think I can still smell the sea"

Annie loved district 12. She said her dad used to live there but then the capitol wanted him to become manger of the boats in districts 4. Since the living conditions were terribly in district 12 he moved. Annie wasn't born by then though. But her dad did tell stories. And Annie made sure I knew them all.

We laugh and walk side by side towards the stream.

When we get there we sit in silence. We both know why.

Annie was the brave one to bring it up. "So how you feeling about the games?"

I shift to look at her. She genuinely wants to know.

I sigh "I don't know, An. To be honest, I'm more scared for my sisters"

Annie didn't have siblings. She just lived with her mum and dad, though she never really saw her dad as he was always working out on the boats, catching fish for the capitol.

I look at her and her face tells me that's not what she wanted to hear.

I sigh again "I'm really scared, Terrified actually. It's so- I can't even say. Who could put kids in an arena-"

"Coriolanus Snow." Annie started resting her head on her arms that rested on her knees.

"It's just like every year, Annie. I don't know what to say. It's like this for us. For everyone. Nobody can stop it."

Annie smiles. sympathetically, not for me, not for her, but for everyone in the districts. Some districts may have been better off than others but they were all prisoners to the games. That was a certainty. All the districts deserved justice.

"Your right. There's no point complaining. It will happen we can't stop it and if we did or tried to, we'd be dead or avoxs with bright red hair serving food to tributes about to die."

I would've laughed but it wasn't funny. It wasn't funny to the people that had their tounges
ripped out by capitol for committing crimes like wanting freedom.

I realise I'd been daydreaming so I snap by attention back to Annie who's  popping a very bright, Brandon coloured bramble into her mouth, the flavour exploding as she's pushing  her teeth into it. I see her eyes light up. Was this the season?

Annie grimaces "This is- HEAVEN!"

"No shit!" I say. Finally the brambles were at their best and me and Annie could collect as many as we wanted as a little dessert for the whole of summer. This took our minds off the games and I'm thankful for that.

I take out my little bag my mother knitted me that's tied at my waist and start to pick the, dark red and purple brambles off the bush and slip them into my bag. The bushes are everywhere and since it's only me and Annie that come here we'd have a whole summer supply. It was like since the sun had started heating up more and more by the day the brambles just finished off the start to summer. The start of summer was never happy because of the games but things like these made you think about others things.

I look at Annie and wave about my full, bag of brambles and we laugh until a sharp hissing sound comes from behind me.

__________________________...

A/N: Hello! Next chapter! I know it's not that long but I hope you enjoy. Again if you don't understand something about it just ask me :) I'm sure I'll be able to help, thanks! I'm working on chapter 3! Have a nice day/night <333