Part 15

For the next several days, the vial burns a hole in your pocket. Not literally – based on the High Prince's reaction the first night, you know he can sense magic and so, you cloak the potion with a spell to hide in your room.

The Prince of Wrath gave you until the autumnal equinox, which gives you a week to decide what to do. Logically, you know you need to decide, but every option you're faced with comes at a cost.

You can ignore the Witch Council and stay here in Hell – but if you do that, Ruslan's soul would be in danger. Or you could betray the High Prince and deliver him to the witches – an idea that, increasingly, you find to be impossible.

What you should do is tell Jimin, but you have no way of knowing Namjoon won't find out. If he knew about your friendship with the High Prince, he must have eyes within the Infernal Palace and if so, you need to be careful. Any slip could lead to him harming Ruslan.

It's been a long time since you and Ruslan were in love but still, you cannot risk his immortal soul. He died because of you and still, you're the one placing him in danger.

And so, you walk a delicate balance between betrayer and not. This is made easier by the fact that, since the night of the relic, Jimin has seemed to keep his distance.

At first, you hardly noticed the change. Jimin is High Prince and is constantly pulled in a thousand different directions but lately, you've begun to notice a pattern. In the mornings, when you wake and head to do your salutations, he's already gone. When you visit the practice rings, he's just finishing.

You would suspect he knew about the vial, but if that were so, you know he'd confront you. Or at least, his response wouldn't involve running whenever you enter the room. For this is what Jimin's been doing. After a few days, you get to the point where you find yourself annoyed.

The encounter with Namjoon aside, things have shifted between you and the High Prince. He saved your life, and you saved him in turn. He gifted you shadow magic; a power no mortal has ever received. The silence between you is deafening, and you don't understand it.

Which is why you find yourself pacing the hall outside his rooms that evening, shifting through your thoughts and deciding what to say.

Back and forth, you pace. Back, you shouldn't knock – the High Prince owes you nothing, and you will soon betray him. Forth, you should knock – at the very least, he owes you an explanation about magic. Maybe you were the closest person that night, but there's no reason for him to trust you over one of the Princes.

Before you can decide, the door opens, and you find yourself face-to-face with the High Prince.

Halting in surprise, Jimin blinks.

"I was just coming to find you," he says at last.

"Were you?"

He frowns. "Yes. Why?"

"I haven't seen you in a few days, is all."

Jimin pauses. "I'm sorry," he exhales. "I couldn't think of a way to thank you for what you did."

"For what I did?"

"Yes."

"But I did... nothing."

"No." The word comes out sharply and in response, Jimin softens. "Y/N... maybe I've lived in Hell too long. I can't remember the last time someone said they would help me without an agenda... and did."

It breaks your heart to hear this, since you know you're no better than anyone else. And yet, you want to be. You want to be better for the strong, broken man standing before you.

"You haven't left," he adds, even quieter.

Not understanding, you frown. Jimin shifts and for a moment, he seems almost uncertain.

"I thought you might leave Hell," he explains. "Now that... well, now that you can."

Startled, you realize he's right. You could have left at any point since he gave you shadow magic, but it never occurred to you to do so. Partly because there's nowhere else for you to go and partly because you don't want to.

"I haven't left," you say softly.

His gaze on yours remains dark, but the longer you look, the more light you see. Jimin's hair looks like his hands have run through it and you can't help but wonder what it would be like. What you would feel, being quiet and intimate with him.

The thought sends a sharp pang through you.

"Y/N."

You look up.

Jimin has stepped closer yet still, he keeps his hands to himself. "The autumnal equinox is tomorrow night," he says. "Will you do me the honor of accompanying me to its ball?"

Stomach sinking, you realize he's right. The autumnal equinox is tomorrow, meaning you've officially overstayed your welcome. You're nearly out of time.

"You... wish me to accompany you? And what about after?"

Something in his gaze catches.

"There will always be a place for you here if you wish," Jimin says lowly.

Your heart swells before you can stop it. Now, you realize you're no longer in danger of falling. You've fallen, past tense and a piece of your heart would remain forever if you left.

"Yes," you tell him. "I'll accompany you tomorrow."

Jimin smiles, and the sight loosens something within you. Right then, you decide you'll fight the path fate has set before you. Always, you've accepted the lot you've been handed but not this. Not anymore.

Ruslan deserves to be at peace after everything he went through. You'll give him that and you'll protect the High Prince. Somehow, you will.

From now on, you and you alone will decide your fate.