Part 18

At some point you must fall asleep, because when your eyes open, the sky outside your window has lightened. Pale dawn creeps over the sky, as hesitant about its arrival as you are.

Jimin's sleeping body is warm and for a moment, you simply look at the High Prince. A little over a month ago, he meant nothing to you and now, you want this night to last forever.

Briefly, you allow yourself to imagine what it would be like not to have this ultimatum hanging over you. If your past wasn't shadowed by demons and death, and you'd met Jimin under simpler terms. Of course, were things simpler, it's doubtful you would've met the High Prince at all.

Gently, you trace a line down his arm and watch his eyes open.

Sleepily, he focuses on you. "Good morning," Jimin mumbles.

Before you can respond, he lifts a hand and pulls you down for a kiss. His lips are gentle, lingering softly before he moves on. You long to kiss him again, lose yourself in his touch, but there's something you must do and not a moment to lose.

"Jimin." You pause. "I need to tell you something, and I need you to trust me."

He stares at you a moment, then nods.

"What is it?" he murmurs, lifting your fingers to kiss one by one. "Tell me."

You tell him.

Starting with his name appearing from the Witch Council to your journey to Virago and your reception by the witches. Jimin grows predictably furious, especially when you note the reaction of Cressida, but you push past it. You detail how you entered Gehenna, sought to attract his attention – and were foiled when he discovered your potion.

Then, you tell him the rest.

When you're finished, there's murder to his gaze.

"I'll kill him," Jimin rasps, sitting up. "I'll kill Namjoon for doing this to you, for giving you no other choice but to hurt the man you loved."

Gently, you coax him back down.

"I know," you say, looking him in his eyes. "I know, he's done much harm – but if you threaten Namjoon, I'll never be free. He'll hurt Ruslan's soul and I'll never have my sentence undone by the witches."

Slowly, Jimin sinks back on the pillow.

"I'll give myself up, then," he says. "You shouldn't be placed in this position, so I'll decide for you."

"No." Sharply, you look at him. "Do you really think your death wouldn't harm me, Jimin? That I'd simply... go on, and feel nothing?"

"I cannot let them harm you."

"And the mortals need you, Jimin."

His expression softens looking at you. "Then, what?"

"I... I have a plan. It's risky."

Jimin's gaze sparks. "My favorite kind."

He listens while you explain and, the longer you speak, the more his expression clears. When you're finished, Jimin sears your lips with agreement, and you move to preparation.

An hour later, the morning of the autumnal equinox has fully dawned, and you stand before Jimin while he sits on the bed.

"Are you ready?" you ask, handing him a small cup.

Jimin nods, glancing into its depths. "It smells foul," he complains, and then sighs. "Ah, well. Bottoms up."

Draining the cup, Jimin winces. The cup contained tea and the potion gifted to you by Namjoon and, while you wait, you watch his magic drain. A pallor takes over his skin, Jimin's grip tightening on the mug in his hand.

When he nods, you step backwards.

"Namjoon," you call. Unable to look at Jimin any longer, you turn. "Namjoon, I call upon you."

Lurching forward, Jimin spills the rest of his tea as he stands from the bed. Fingers flexing, he attempts to call upon magic and finds nothing. The Witch Council's potion has done the trick.

Vision blurred, you can't look at Jimin when he reaches for your arm. You know it's all part of the act, but it still feels so real.

"Y/N." Jimin sounds desperate. "Look at me. What did he tell you? What did Namjoon promise? I can–"

Clearing his throat, Namjoon steps from the shadows.

Examining one hand, he looks up. "Well done, Y/N," he says, sounding bored. "You've upheld your end of the bargain."

With a flick of his hand, Ruslan's specter appears.

The edges of him flicker and he doesn't seem to recognize you. Heart lurching, you're unsure what you should do. It's clear that Ruslan, wherever he is, isn't the same as he was when you loved him.

Still, your eyes meet, and a flicker of recognition passes between you. Briefly, he smiles before he fades to nothing.

Startled, you whirl. "What did you do?" you demand of Namjoon. "Where is he now?"

"Calm yourself," Namjoon sighs. "I released him back to purgatory. He'll move on soon to Heaven – martyrs always do." He stifles an eye roll. "Ask him, if you don't believe me."

Hardly daring to hope, you glance at Jimin. Staring ahead, the High Prince nods – only once.

"He's gone," Jimin says stiffly. "The Prince of Wrath speaks true."

Now that you've turned, you can't look away. Jimin's spine is stiff, as though it's all that's holding him up. Worst of all, he doesn't seem surprised. Your heart cracks, but this is how it must be for your plan to work.

"Now." Stepping towards you, Namjoon snaps a finger and shadowy cuffs bind both you and Jimin. "We're keeping the Witch Council waiting."

Grasping your wrist, Namjoon dissolves into smoke. It's different from traveling with Jimin. With Namjoon, your throat clogs and you feel utter coldness and then, your surroundings solidify to a place you never thought you'd see again.

Stepping forward, Cressida's long train sweeps the floor, and her lips twist. "Welcome to Virago, High Prince of Hell."