Part 20

When your eyes open, you see only darkness. Rather than panic, you give a soft sigh. After your time in the mortal realm, being home in Gehenna feels like a blessing.

In the shadows, someone stirs, and a dim flicker of light fills the room. This illuminates Jimin, seated in a chair at your bedside.

"Jimin."

When you try to reach for him, you wince. Pain lances your side and, gingerly, you press the wound and remember the relic.

"You're alright," Jimin says, grasping your hand. "I had to bring you here, where shadow magic is stronger, but I –"

Lifting your hand, you press this to his cheek. Jimin's eyes shut. Smiling, you rub the slant of his jaw with your thumb.

"Thank you," you murmur, and his eyes open.

"I should be the one thanking you."

"What for?"

"You saved my life."

"You risked it first," you counter. "It seemed fitting."

His smile flickers as he clasps your hand tighter. Uncertainty enters his gaze, and you know he's thinking of a specific moment from earlier. A moment you also find yourself lingering on.

"Was Hoseok right?" you ask softly.

Jimin exhales. "What you make me feel... I could not forget, even if you chose to leave. I would understand if you wanted to," he says, slipping his hand from yours. "You're free. You can go anywhere."

"Anywhere," you say, liking the sound.

For the first time, you're completely unburdened. Nothing is keeping you here, there's no weight on your shoulders. You can go anywhere and do anything.

Which is why you know it's your own decision when you grasp his hand.

"Out of anywhere I could be," you say. "I want to be here with you. In Hell."

For a moment, Jimin is so happy he can't respond. Then he bends to kiss you – slowly, and then harder.

"Jimin," you say, pulling away as a thought occurs to you. "I'm... mortal."

His brows furrow. "Maybe."

You blink. "Maybe?"

"I've never heard of a mortal with both light and dark magic," he says softly. "But even if you do remain mortal – you need not die, so long as you remain in Hell."

"So... I could be immortal as long as I don't enter the mortal realms?"

"Magic is complicated." Jimin hesitates. "You could likely return for short periods, but no," he exhales. "If you were to live in the mortal realms, you'd eventually die."

A tingle spreads down your spine as you realize what he offers. An eternity at his side as the High Lady of Hell. An eternity of deciding who and what you are – an eternity of deciding with him. Rightness fills you, and you tilt your face up to his.

"Yes," you whisper. "Body and whatever might be called a soul, I am yours."

Jimin kisses you fully, and the darkness descends.