Chapter Fifteen: Reconnecting

Within the lone dwelling, behind the luminous light of the cloudless sky, soft sobs were exchanged amongst the effulgent, embracing pair. And when there were no more tears left to shed in neither woman nor Wendigo, the rejoined couple simply enjoyed taking in one another's presence.

Cradled while inclining her head into the wiry, tan chest, Summer enjoyed the strong, steady rhythm of her beloved. Ben may still have been a cryptid, but the curse of being a primal slave to hunt was no longer plaguing his mind. And his fed, robust presence was a far cry from the starved, emaciated beast that lurked in the North Woods. Summer's mind dwelled about this arcane change. It made sense that his body did not revert to human, since her findings stated there weren't any cures. In point of fact, it was the selfish spirit that held the unexplainable enchantment, thus, Ben remained a Wendigo.

But all in all... none of it really mattered, anymore... For though the physical body wasn't restored, the elements of her husband's humanity certainly was. And for that alone, Summer was jubilant beyond belief.

Because in the end, all of her planning wasn't in the least, futile at all.

The ends of the woman's lips arose. Ben's skin had become warm as toast. And in the place of the horrid, death-musk that seemed to aerate and seep into the walls, was a woodsy, sweet aroma of fresh sandalwood. The scent was akin to when Ben used to return from a day of hiking. Now, it was more potent and alluring.

Under relaxed lids, Summer could tell that the room's lights had just flashed. It was a telltale sign that the original power had retaken its role from the generator outside. She finally peered an eye at a hung, cordless clock that wasn't affected from the scary, sudden, brief blackout...

It was a little quarter after one in the afternoon.

With a few, final sniffles, Summer fluttered away the excess moisture from her vision. She had fully lost track of time. But after being wide awake, and her ordeal with Ben all night, she was dead to the world for four straight hours.

As happy as Summer was being enveloped in the large, strong arms of her beloved, halfheartedly, she knew she needed to get back onto her feet. Literally. The held woman was two meters from the carpeted floor.

"Ben?" she breathed softly with a hand rubbing his broad back.

"...Mmmm..?" crooned the deep query.

"I need to go-"

"Mm-Mm..." With eyes still closed, the content cryptid nuzzled his strong profile into the side of the woman's face.

"Ben, it's alright. I'm just gonna-"

"Don... go... Staay..."

Summer blinked deeply when she felt Ben's jaw push in, and his arms tightening over her back. Both her heart and soul ached from the distrait gesticulations. From all the excruciating crap he's been through, it was no wonder he did not wish to be away from her for even a minute.

After another consoling caress, Summer returned his tender squeeze the best she could.

"Benny Baby, I swear, I'm not leaving this house, nor am I ever leaving you. Ever. I promise that I'm just getting something out of the vanity dresser. ...Kay?"

After nearly ten seconds, Ben emitted a relented sigh, which sounded more relieved than apprehensive.

"...Kaay."

Tenderly, he aided the woman to the carpet as if she were a vintage porcelain doll, and once on her own two feet, she stepped to the mentioned dresser. Summer pulled the middle drawer, took out a large ring that was adored with several keys, and got onto the bed to stand in front of her huge husband.