𝟑𝟑

Um so...Time skip?

1979

He hadn’t meant to say it. Sure, he’d been thinking about it non-stop since he  first graduated. But he hadn’t meant to say it so suddenly. Regulus deserved better than a spur of the moment, senseless, thoughtless, proposal. Regulus deserved a romantic, candles, and roses, and under the stars’ proposal. With lots of wine and their friends nearby, ready to start screaming and congratulating them.

James knew that.

And yet, he hadn’t been able to stop the words from escaping his throat.

They had been laying in their new bed, in their new apartment, boxes surrounding them unpacked for the past few weeks. Regulus had been reading aloud, the soft light coming from the lamp on one of said boxes, his hand combing rhythmically through James’ hair. James was drawing shapes on Regulus’ bare torso, his ear close to Regulus’ heart, listening to it beat.

“Marry me.” James blurted, sitting up in shock from letting the words be translated from his thoughts to actual spoken words. Words that Regulus could hear, and understand, and process.

"What..." Regulus laughed incredulously, thinking James was being... well James. But when he looked at James' panicked face, which showed no humor behind his words Regulus sat up wide eyed. "What?!"

"I- w-will you... Regulus Arcturus Black... Marry me" Regulus stared at James for an uncomfortable amount of time, looking for any hint of a joke. But when all he saw was love and nervousness he nodded.

"Yes... Of course I will marry you" James' nervous demeanor melting away as he almost jumped up to kiss Regulus.

"Oh my merlin I can't belive you said yes, I love you.... like love love you" Regulus chuckled at the reference to their younger selves.

"I love love you too, now how are we gonna tell the others" Regulus smirked as James went wide eyed.

"I probably should've asked Padfoot if this was okay..." Regulus laughed petting James' hair in comfort.

"No I think he'll be alright"

"What!? And you didn't think to tell me?!" Regulus laughed as Sirius' babysitter/boyfriend wrapped an arm around his neck.

"Be nice Padfoot... I'm really happy for you two" Regulus smiled warmly at Remus.

"Thank you" Regulus held onto James' hand, they were happy.

So why wouldn't the voice shut up

_______

Sorry to spring a time skip on y'all but I rlly had nothing else planned for Hogwarts...

But time skips mean this story is starting to end I hope you have been enjoying this book but there is only a few chapters left 🙏

But I still feel bad so...

_______

Bonus!!!

"Uh Marls... can I ask you something" Marlene beamed at the sight of Regulus.

"Of course baby Black what is it" Regulus looked down, his cheeks flushed as he stared at the floor.

"I was just wondering if- uh you wanted to be my best man- I mean woman" Marlene laughed bringing Regulus into a hug.

"Of course I will! You're like a little brother too me I'd be honored..." Marlene pulled away smirking "plus this means I get to plan your bachelor party... it's a muggle thing"

________

And ofc Sirius is James' best man- that's a given

Hope you enjoyed the bonus tho