Chapter 1

"Good morning!" I mumbled to the security guard as I flashed my badge and walked towards the lift. I had been at the BAU for two months and today I had my meeting with the Chief of our unit - Erin Strauss.

My position was a weird one, while I wasn't a profiler out in the field with the Alpha or Beta teams of the BAU. I did help to write preliminary profiles and slide them into the case files to make the presentation and choosing of the cases a bit easier for the Communication Liaison which I think at the moment was Penelope Garcia due to Agent Jareau's sudden departure.

I got off the elevator, keeping my head down I hurried into the bullpen and sat at my desk in the back corner. I had come in early as usual, as I found it helped my anxiety a lot and reduced the likelihood of me having to interact with anyone. Setting up my desk for the day and writing a list of everything I need to do. I really struggled with remembering things to do, so my desk was constantly covered in sticky notes with reminders.

I looked at my watch and noticed it was 8:30, I decided to see if Chief Strauss was in, so I could get this meeting over and done with, before beginning my work for the day. Before I left the bullpen, I made sure to fill the coffee pot and kettle so there was fresh pot and hot water ready for everyone's morning drinks.

( outside Strauss office)

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves which seemed to ambush me, as soon as I reached outside her door. I knocked twice before I heard her footsteps coming towards the door.
"Come in," she said as she opened the door for me. Strauss pointed me towards the chair in front of her desk.

"How have you been Abigail?" She asked getting straight to the point.

"I-I- I've been fine, I'm really enjoying my time here, I mean as much as you can considering the nature of this job, but I'm definitely learning a lot and finding it really interesting. I know you wanted me to come in as a profiler but I'm really sorry I just don't think ..." I tailed off as Strauss interrupted.

"Abigail!" She said concerned, probably because I hadn't taken a breath while I was rambling on.

"Just take a moment and breathe," she directed me  noticing I was beginning to hyperventilate.

Oh no this cannot be happening right now, I took my meds, I did my breathing exercises, why am I having a panic attack right now of all times. I started to coach myself through my breathing exercises and scratch at my arms to distract myself. There goes the dress I was gonna wear tomorrow. As I was starting to get some control over my breathing. I looked up at Strauss and saw she had a worried expression on her face. Before she could say anything we heard a knock on her door.

"Give me a moment!" She said to whoever was at the door. Strauss reached down into her mini fridge and handed me a bottle of water. "I'm going to give you some time to calm down, while I go and see what whoever is outside my door wants. Okay?" She told me.

I nodded my head while holding onto the chilled water bottle grateful, that I had something to distract me.

I'm in my own world till I heard the door open, Chief Strauss entered followed by a tall man with black hair and a strict face, he was wearing a black suit with a red tie and dress shoes.

"Abigail," Chief Strauss began, "I would like you to meet SSA Aaron Hotchner, he is the Section Chief of the BAU and team leader of the Alpha BAU team." She turned to the agent and said " This is Abigail, we were just about to discuss her new role as she has just passed her probation period here at the BAU."

I looked up at this new information shocked,while the workload wasn't too hard and much less stressful than my previous job, I didn't even know I was on probation.

"Congratulations," Agent Hotchner offered, "I have been very impressed with the work you have been doing over the past month, it's been helpful with investigations and has helped a lot with the workload of the team, so thank you."

I sat there in shock at his words, because honestly I was just doing my job. At times like this I was so glad of my dark skin so he couldn't see how flustered my face had become because of his words.

"Thank you, Agent Hotchner, but I was just doing my job." I replied earnestly.

He nodded "You can just call me Hotch," he said with a small smile. "I have to be going now Erin but I will see you around soon Abigail."