Chapter 3

July 1913

Nizhny Novgorod

Today is my birthday it was very silent which was very odd and Adrien was not in our room which made me worry a little.

I went downstairs and there was a curtain blocking the entrance to the living room, i opened it and Mama and Papa jumped in surprise and Adrien exploded the confetti, "Happy Birthday Natalia" Mama hugged me, "Thanks Mama and i love the set-up" i smiled, "Stand still" Papa ordered as he took a picture of us.

Today is also Grand Duchess Samara Romanova's birthday, she has been missing for over 10 years now, she would be the same age as me, i hope she finds her way home soon.

"Papa when do i get to open my locket?" I asked, "When i tell you to" he answers, "What about now since its my birthday?" I ask "Natalia i said when i tell you to, dont be naughty" he warned, i sighed and continued to eat my cereal.

Mama told us that we're going to the shops for my birthday, i changed to a white dress with a floral pattern and matched it with a small flower hat.

We walked to the book shop and came across my friend Nikita, "Happy Birthday Natalia! Here i have a gift for you" she says pulling out a golden bracelet, "Wow thanks Niki, can you come over at our house later in the afternoon?" I says, "Sure! I'll be there at 4" she says as she waved goodbye and left.

After we bought some books we cane across a charity auction held by the Tsarina. Mama walked in, we followed her inside, "Stay close to me Natalia" Papa orders as he pulled me closer to him.

Mama was talking to this woman named Anna Vyrubova, i saw some sweets by the corner so i went and ran for it until i stumbled across Grand Duchess Olga, "Oh im sorry your highness" i bowed, "No its okay" she smiled, "You look familiar what's your full name?" She asks, "Natalia Nikolaevna Solovyova" i answered, "Natalia! What did i tell you to stay close to me!" Papa yelled while Grand Duchess Olga stood like a statue, "Ik sorry Papa i just wanted some sweets" i say, "I'll buy you sweets when we get home" He smiled, "Apologies your highness for my naughty child" he bowed as we left.

"They don't look similar and why does she look like Mother? The Blonde hair, blue eyes, thin lips, and everything? Strange" Olga thought as she walked back to her sisters.

"Did she say anything to you?" Papa asked, "Yes, she asked me about my full name ad of course i gave it to her" i answered, "When a stranger asks you your name, where do you live, who's your parents or whatever dont ever answer them" Papa stated, i wonder why Papa is so protective of me, he never lets me out of the house neither Mama and they didn't even let  me to go to school this year and said that i should do homeschooling instead.

We walked back to our house and unpacked everything, i started to read my book since they say its a really good book.

My friend Nikita has arrived and she went up to my room and find me reading a book by the window, "Hello Birthday girl" she says as she sat on my bed, "Hello Niki thanks for coming" i smiled, "It is also Grand Duchess Samara's birthday today its crazy how your baby photos look very similar to her's" she says, "I keep hearing that everytime like i get it i look like Grand Duchess Samara" i said in a annoyed tone, "Im just saying like what if your her?" She says, "Me? The Grand Duchess Samara? Thats impossible, plus she was kidnapped i was adopted" i scuffed, "What if she was kidnapped and was given to a family?" She says, "And also you look more like the Tsaritsa" she added, "Okay okay fine im Grand Duchess Samara, now will you shut up on your theories?" I sassed.

"I noticed you have a locket on your neck whats in it?" Nikita asks, "I dont know Papa wont let me open it unless he told me so" i stated, "Why dont you open it now since your Papa is not around?" she suggested, "No i will disobey my Papa's orders" i says, "Okay then i guess we'll never know" she chuckled.

"You are Samara, Samara Nikolaevna Grand Duchess of Russia the lost daughter of the Imperial couple, when will you know the truth?" Mama said to herself as she watched Natalia and Nikita chat by the window.