Chapter Thirty-Two

32 - Remember

Kinaumagahan ay nagising ako sa katok ni Mommy. Nakita ko ang pagpasok niya sa kwarto ko at lumapit sa akin.

"You're becoming someone I will always admire, Kaela. You're standing on your own now..." She caressed my face and smiled at me genuinely even though her eyes flashed with unshed tears.

"Mommy..." Pigil ko sa ambang pag-iyak niya.

She shook her head and laughed a little. "I'm sorry that I didn't get to be with you when you were in pain, Kaela. Mommy will always be sorry for that..."

"Nothing's your fault, Mommy. It's all in the past already. Don't blame yourself anymore."

"Still... I am sorry. If I happened to be here, I should've protected you. Your Dad and I should've protected you from feeling the pain." I held her hand and squeezed them.

"It's was fine for me, Mommy. I still feel your love despite the distance we have between us..." I paused and looked at her intently. "You know, Mom, during that time, the good thing was, I realized too many things. I learned too many lessons, and I grew. I grew independently. I learned new things that I thought I would never do. It taught me to be brave and know how to fight for myself, Mom. I am a fighter now. I can do things by myself now, Mommy."

She hugged me and cried. "I am so proud of you, hija." She whispered before breaking our hug. "And with that, I wanted to be with you from now on." My eyes widened with her subtle words.

She chuckled at my reaction. "My baby is still there. Anyway, your Lolo Cillian wanted you to go to New York now. For good. Or for as long as you want. And even though he will prevent you, I will still give you your wish, and we'll stay in New York." I saw how she reached something in the pocket of his bathrobe.

Pinakita niya sa akin ang ticket doon. "Mischa booked it last night. You'll be leaving tomorrow, Kaela."

My eyes filled with tears because of happiness looking at the ticket Mommy was holding. "Are you really allowing me to go there, Mommy?"

Pinahid niya ang luha ko sa mukha. "Of course, hija. If that's what it takes to make you heal and forget about the pain, we'll allow you to fly. Fly free, Kaela Aveline." She pressed a kiss on my cheeks.

"Thank you, Mommy..."

She exhaled and looked at me. "Finish everything that you want to do here, hija. We'll follow you to New York this weekend. Will you be okay going there alone?"

Tumango ako sa kanya. "Yes, Mommy. Thank you so much!" Yakap ko sa kanya.

Ridge went home earlier. Kasasabi rin ni Mommy bago siya umalis sa kwarto ko. Tumawag ako kay Ridge at sinabing magkita kami sa Estates. Sa mismong lugar kung saan maiiwan ang puso ko.

"I'm going back to New York." I started.

Nakaupo kami ngayon sa malawak na lupaing ito. Nakatanaw sa papalubog na araw.

This time, I wanted to make peace with Ridge. Because when he was with me at the hospital and our calls when he was in New York, hindi kami nag-usap tungkol dito. Hindi ko alam kung nirespeto ni Ridge ang nangyari sa akin kaya hindi niya binuksan ang usaping ito.

Lumingon ako sa kanya at nakitang nakatitig sa akin. His eyes were confused as he heard my words.

"You're leaving?" Tanong niya ulit na parang hindi nakuha ang una kong sinabi.

Tumingin ako sa harapan at nagsimula nang dumilim sa paligid. I heaved a sigh. "Yes, Ridge. I am leaving." I paused and cleared my throat. "For good."