01 | STILLBIRTH

STILLBIRTH | VKOOK ONE-SHOT

///

Jeongguk's hazy bloodshot eyes were riveted to a corner of the straw ceiling. Open, but unseeing. He awoke to the steady patter of rain tapping against the window draped in elk-pelt curtains; droplets basking in the nascent sunlight peaking beyond the curtains. And even though the sunrise was only a whisper to the stars, the straw roof of the hut glowed golden at the tips.

The lamb-like downpour became his lullaby, aiding him into tranquility, at ease with the fluidity of time; like an aimless pup. Instinct told him it was around four in the morning. A time he familiarized over the past couple of months; formulated deep within him, unbeknownst.

He glanced over his freckled shoulder, the weight around his midriff and the steady heave of a firm chest pressed against his backside suddenly apparent. Kim Taehyung, his mate—and Alpha to their tribal pack, slept peacefully behind him.

Gentle snores spewing his plush lips. Long dark eyelashes kissed upon his chiseled honey cheeks, twitching as he adventured dreamland. He wanted to face him, to peck the beauty-mark on the tip of his prominent nose. Even though his eyes bore dark circles from all the times he protected and provided for the pack and his mate, he was perfect. The epitome of handsomeness, glorious beauty.

The corners of Jeongguk's chapped rosy lips curl upwards into a tiny lopsided grin. He carefully removed Taehyung's strong arm and sat up, face turned towards him. The soft pads of his tentative fingertips brushed against the faded scar on his mate's left cheek and tucked strands of thick charcoal locks behind his pointy ear to reveal thick relaxed eyebrows.

He carefully crawled off their large makeshift elk-pelt bed which was padded with layers of warm cozy rabbit fur and headed towards the bathroom across the room which, in spring, glowed with a soothing brown symphony. He shut the wooden door to the medium-sized bathroom quietly as to not disturb his mate's slumber.

He observed his reflection in the glass mirror and heaved out a sigh, stomach twisting with distaste. The tousled mop of wavy ebony locks atop his head stuck up in various places, curling up at parts like a bird's nest. Dark circles adored his chocolate glazed irises which became somewhat dull over time. He pursed his lips as he eyed himself critically.

This will not do. He could not afford to look so unpresentable, especially for his wonderful mate whom always seemed immaculate despite his flaws (not that Jeongguk thought he had anyway).

    He unclasped the faucet and watched as running hot spring water filled the makeshift tub — a hollowed out sanctuary of stone. Once filled enough, he unlaced the silken garment and dipped a toe inside. He sunk below the warm water and scrubbed himself clean, washing away the cum and slick which had dried between his thighs from last night.

Pale golden eyes fluttered shut, long wet lashes dribbled and kissed upon his beautifully freckled ivory cheeks (freckles Taehyung had once mentioned reminded him of an adorable white-tailed fawn). He sighed. This time, this time for sure. Although difficult, he pushed aside all doubts which surfaced his mind. It's going to work. And if not...I'll just have to keep trying. He squirted a dollop of finely squashed hair-strengthening herbs onto his palm and rubbed it into his unruly curls.

After his bath, he stood in the mirror with a towel wrapped around his slim waist. He threaded a pale dainty hand through his damp curls, trying to style it messily. A breath of relief passed his lips when he poked his head out from behind the bathroom door, grateful that his mate was still sound asleep. He crept past him and swung open the closet.

The silky tunic gown draped over his freckled shoulders and exposed his prominent clavicles adored by various love-bites and their bound. The loose thread at his pudgy midriff accentuated his concave waist, so small in his mate's large svelte hands. And the flowy cream pants stopped mid-thigh. White contrasted his dark eyes and hair and caused him to glow—like an angel! Pure and innocent. Fertile...as most (secondary gendered) Omegan were.