Chapter 13

Time went on for the Mathers family. They were preparing for what needed to be done to get the paternity test on the baby that Analise was expecting. Ella was still hanging out with Maverick which helped him out. He hadn't lost her. She was still nervous about the whole thing but he was glad that she hadn't just dropped him like a bad habit. 

The kids were all down watching a movie together when the phone call came. Maverick had to go up to the hospital to submit his DNA to compare it to the baby's. Maverick was worried about what was going to happen next. He knew that his parents would have his back no matter what happened. Marshall was the one to take him up to the hospital. Madelyn was at home with the other kids. 

"Mom," Malakai said. 

"What baby?" she asked. 

"Do you think Mave's gonna be ok?"

"I'm positive that Mave will be all right. He's a strong kid and he has all of us to support him no matter the outcome."

Malakai nodded. Madelyn had the kids go to bed before Maverick got home. She was sitting on the couch waiting when Marshall walked thru the door with their son. Maverick didn't say a word. He just went up the stairs to go to bed. Marshall sat down with his wife. She stared at him just waiting for him to tell her what happened. 

"Is he ok?" she asked. 

"He's scared but he saw the baby," he said. 

"And?"

"It's a baby, Mads. Can't really tell who it looks like at this point," 

She nodded. She knew that her son was worried about it. He didn't want to deal with her and he was terrified of what it meant for him and Ella if the baby was his. Madelyn wanted so badly to fix this for him but she knew that it was his problem. She couldn't fix it for him. Marshall lay on the couch with his head in his wife's lap. She sighed but ran her nails through his hair. She looked down at him. He smiled up at her. He grabbed her other hand and kissed the back of it. 

"He'll be fine, babe. He has us," he said. 

"He just turned 16, Marshall," she replied. 

"I know this, Mads. He unfortunately made some choices to put himself in this position so there isn't anything we can do other than be there for him. No matter which way it goes."

She nodded. He sighed heavily. It was weighing on them both that they couldn't just fix this for their child. 

Madelyn checked on Maverick before she went to bed. He was laying on his bed just staring at the ceiling. His phone was in one hand. She lightly knocked on his doorframe. 

"You doing ok baby?" she asked. 

"I don't know. I've been talking to Ella but she's pretty much pulling away until I get the answer to whether the baby is mine or not," he replied. 

"I'm sorry, Mave."

"Nothing you can do, mom. I can't blame her if she doesn't want to play stepmom to a kid in high school."

"I know bud. This will all work the way it's supposed to. How long before you have the results?"

"They said they could have them before he goes home."

"It's a boy?"

"Yeah, she said won't name him until she knows if he is mine or Jamison's. Her parents had him come take the test as well even though she said it's mine."

"What's she naming him if he is yours?"

"Mason Blayde."

"And if it's Jamison?"