Chapter 6

LOUIS

"Louis - you have been summoned to the Head Office. Your appointment is at 11 am. I have cleared the remainder of your schedule to compensate," NOAs voice said over Harry's normal morning playlist. It wasn't so much the words that startled him at first as it was the break from the routine. NOA was usually set to the lowest interruption settings in the early hours of the mornings when Louis and Harry were far too tired to deal with it.

"What's the appointment for?" Louis asked.

"Not disclosed," NOA replied.

He sighed, a short wave of anxiety bubbling into his stomach.

It was six minutes past six, which meant Harry would be up soon.

His body clock had readjusted to his normal schedule after he'd settled down and grown accustomed to living with Harry. Waking up before sunrise came naturally to him and his body had gotten used to it over the years, so he didn't plan for it to just go away. Harry didn't mind and Louis liked the early morning silence, so they'd started working with it.

He made his way down to the kitchen and started his own cup of coffee before NOA could do it for him, then another for Harry. He was usually up around half six, so Louis pulled his robe tighter around his shoulders and left the second cup of coffee in front of the empty stool beside him.

Right when Louis expected, he heard the sound of Harry's footsteps coming down the stairs.

"Good morning," the alpha said as he walked into the kitchen and took his seat beside Louis. It was their routine, a part of Louis' new life that he was slowly getting used to.

He was used to Harry. Used to him to the point where he knew he would miss him when he had to leave, and that was something he couldn't help but be afraid of.

"NOA just said I have an appointment in the city today," Louis said.

"Oh?" Harry said, his brows lifting. "What for?"

"Doesn't say," Louis said, "It's in the Head Office, though."

"Hm," Harry hummed. He went over to the coffee pot, getting out a mug to pour himself a steaming cup. "It's probably just something boring. Maybe you need a new ID card or something."

"Yeah, maybe," Louis agreed. He looked down at his feet, kicking them weakly.

Harry poured his coffee and then went over to his side, giving him a kiss on the temple.

"Want me to walk with you? The Head Office is on my way to work."

"Sure."

"Okay," Harry nodded. "I only have a couple meetings today, so I might be home before you. I'll make us some lunch when you get back."

Louis smiled and nodded, then stood up from his seat and wrapped his arms around the alpha's waist. Harry's scent was muted, but Louis could still catch a few pieces of it when he was pressed against him like this.

It changed, sometimes, which wasn't something he'd experienced back home - so he'd figured it had something to do with the medications ALL made him take. But the most notable scent was almost like trees, the forest, the smell of rain and a campfire. Some of Louis' favorite smells in the world.

He couldn't wait for the day he could scent Harry fully, if the day ever came.

Harry eventually pulled away from him and kissed the top of his head, then picked up his coffee mug and went upstairs to get dressed. Louis trailed after him, and when he got to the bedroom he saw Harry standing in front of Louis's own closet, looking at the rows of clothes hung up there.