Chapter 7: In Depth.

"Did you want to wait until after we finished eating?" Hiccup asks while I motion for him to sit down.

"Yes, I had a long day and I'm feeling very hungry." I tell him while taking a long sip of the mead poured most likely from Astrid.

The taste of honey and fermented leaves overrun my taste buds and I hum at the warmth given by the alcohol. Though mead is very light on alcohol I always think my head feels lighter after a couple cups. I rip of a piece of the large chicken leg before putting it into my mouth and chewing softly.
I usually prefer to eat slow compared to others; it deters them from trying to hold a conversation with me. Not that all people are completely irritating and I wouldn't want to talk to them. I just sit with Ruff and Tuff and choose on my own that I really would like to hold onto my sanity.

I enjoy Hiccups company, he himself chose to follow my lead and eat in a comfortable silence. Neither of us daring to break said silence even after the straggling Vikings abandon the hall for their homes.

"So what do you like to do for fun?" Hiccup asks me and I took notice of his almost empty plate.

I quickly swallow trying to ignore the uncomfortable feeling of the piece of chicken trailing down my throat. "I like to read and draw a lot." I smile and his mouth corners turn up slightly.

"Do you mind if I see a couple sometime?" He asks me.

"Yeah! I actually have a book on me now." I say bringing out my smaller notebook and opening to a page where Astrid let me draw her.

The charcoal had smudged over the period of time from when I drew it but you could tell it was her. Her blonde hair had been pulled into a half up half down bun; which, I specifically did for the drawing. Her freckles smudged to make unnecessary shadowing and ruined the drawing in my opinion.

"That's amazing." Hiccup awes gently taking the book out of my hands and looked in detail at the drawing.

Our fingers brushed against each other's and I could feel my ears heat up. I never really touched people, people mainly came up to me but I never enjoyed the interaction. It always made my heart speed up and an uneasy feeling form in my chest.

After I got over my small panic I noticed how intently Hiccup was looking at my drawing. Almost as if he were trying to memorize the way that her hair fell over her shoulder; maybe it was the strands that we couldn't tame no matter how much we ran out fingers over it. I knew Hiccup was infatuated with Astrid, I don't know a man on Berk who wasn't. As creepy as it is. No other girl can compare to her, she was born to be perfect and although I try and push down my insecurity no matter how hard I try it won't leave me.

"You would think you're falling in love with a drawing."  I chuckle as Hiccup jumps into the air at the sound of my voice.

"Uh-" he just rubs the back of his head nervously while handing my book back.

"It's okay, she suspects you like her but doesn't have complete evidence." I say to him and he looks nervous, "I won't tell her if that's what you're worried about." His shoulders drop in relief and I smile tightly. I then notice the flames of the bonfire dimming and Hiccup jumps up almost immediately noticing the same.

"I'm going to go grab some candles," he says while he's already walking away.

"Do you need my help?!" I ask.

"No! No! I'm fine." He tells me before opening a door and walking through.

Now on my own I think back to the almost mystical dragon I had met today. The dragon seemed to enjoy sea slugs; maybe if I brought some I could try and get on her back? Neck? I don't really know at this point. The dragon was beautiful and I don't think that there's any information regarding the species.

"Hey are you okay?" I hear hiccup asks and I jolt straight upwards not even noticing the pitch black room.

The candles flame obscured the darkness enough we could see the table surface clearly. The Book of Dragons placed securely in the middle. Shadows forming the seal of a dragon in a large circle where its tail touched its head.
I noticed Hiccup beginning to sit at the other side of the table and I held my hand to him.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"Sitting?" He questions me.

"Yeah but you can't read from over there just sit next to me." I tell him patting the spot to my right.

"Oh-okay." He says before nervously and slowly sitting beside me.

I take in a breath as I lean towards the book and I can't stop myself from sniffing once more. He smelt like pine; so strong of pine I would think he slept in the trees. I could also pick up a tinge of metal, more than likely from working with Gobber but for some reason the smell suited him.

"Anyways," I cough trying to cool my face from my embarrassing actions.

Hiccup opens the front cover of the book and begins.

"Dragon Classifications: Strike Class, Fear Class, Mystery Class."

Hiccup then begins to read through the pages of the book; I notice he goes slow allowing me to see the pictures of every dragon. Though I wish he would go faster to see in the dragon I found was anywhere.

Over the course of an hour we go through every dragon, every class, and without fail my dragon could not be found anywhere. I was frowning almost on the verge of tears before Hiccup flipped to the very last page.

"What is this?" He asks and I feel my heart drop at the sight of my dragon. Every detail down to the bone of what I had seen and I felt my heart flood with relief. "Says it's called a Razorwhip; acid tears and sharp tail that can cut through full grown trees. Most of the species is female, and it's body is mostly metal so just run." Hiccup says and he shivers. "I hope I never run into one of those" he says and I chuckle lightly.

"I think the chances of that are highly unlikely cause look here." I point to a section. "They prefer large islands with lots of rivers, so we're fine." I smile and he nods.

"Yeah you're right; plus nothing ever happens here anyways." He sighs and I feel with him.

"I know what you mean." I tell him solemnly. "Anyways we should head home before this rain somehow gets worse."

Hiccup stays silent only a moment listening to the rain drops thundering against the roof and nods. "Alright let's go." Hiccup yawns stretching his arms far over his head.

The moment we step outside; a large strike of lighting hits somewhere nearby causing me to shriek loudly and grab Hiccups forearm.

"You know if you wanted a hug all you had to was ask." Hiccup chuckles and I slap his hand.

"Wash your mouth Haddock!" I shout going down two steps before stopping myself.

I don't know what had come over me in those minutes to walk back up the two steps and wrap my arms around his neck; burying my face into his shoulder and just breathing in his Hiccup smell.

I then held him at arms length away; "ah- I'm so sorry." I was stumbling over my words before mentally smacking myself better. "I'm so sorry," I cough. "See you tomorrow!" I wave before bottling down the stairs as fast as I could.

Hey guys! I don't know where the energy to write this came from but I enjoyed writing this. For the first time in a while I've actually enjoyed writing anything. Your comments have helped a lot and I hope you leave more suggestions and personal questions (lol I rhymed). Anyways see you all in the next one <3