Chapter Three: Live or Die.

All I can do is stare at this sword, I think I fell asleep a couple of hours ago but I still can't fathom what's actually happened. Almost every villager except the gravely I'll or injured has gone with Stoick.

No matter how many times they reassured me I know better than to keep hope that they'll both come back alive. The survival rate being so close to a nest is slim to none, and from the stories that I've heard you can barely see two feet in front of you. Much less would they be able to see a dragon before it killed them.

The leather in my hand has become warm from the hours of holding it. The seal that represented everything that I had been taught in my life, the selflessness, the kindness, bravery, determination. I can't imagine the people that had raised me on these beliefs not existing in the world.

I bring the leather sheath to my forehead and begin a small prayer to Odin. I pray for the safe return of everybody who was on the boat and that hopefully we don't have to mourn.

A knock on my door brings me from my thoughts as I'm forced to walk from my bed to the front door. The look in my best friends blue eyes let's me know that she's in the same state of mind that I'm in.

"Are you ready?" She asks me.

"Don't I have to be?" I question and we both look to the ground. I shake my head. "Our parents wouldn't want us to do this." I tell her as we make eye contact once again.

The walk to the arena slowly picks up as the rest of our group meets up with us. First Fishlegs then Snotlout with the twins of course being last.

The arena came into view, the dunked earth being reinforced with smooth stone and webbed chain. The black chains stretching over the expansed arena to prevent any escapes the dragons may try.

My friends and I all took a moment, I don't think I was the only one not listening to Gobber.

All I could have going through my mind was not disappointing my parents. I know they wouldn't be upset if I didn't end up at the top, but at the same time I can't help but want to be the one that makes the top. For them and myself I want to be the one to make them and the village proud.

"No turning back now." Astrid says as the gate opens and we all hesitate, only for a second. Before we each set our feet into the arena.

Small A/N:

Hey guys I just wanted to thank you all for supporting me in rewriting the stories. You don't know how much your support means to me. I love you all and I read your comments even when I'm writing, they make my day. <3