Chapter 28

I woke up as the sun shon through the dirty curtains in Spot's room. I turned to snuggle close to him, but he wasn't there, the mattress was cold as I placed my hand where his body was. Of course I knew where he was, he'd gone to work, and of course he left me here, he thinks sleep is what I need. That sleep is going to fix me, but without him here, it was the last thing I wanted to do. So I got dressed and decided to take a walk through the high streets of Brooklyn, a part I hadn't really seen much of, despite living a 5 minute walk away. I looked into the windows of the shops, my mouth watering every time I passed a confectionery shop or bakery. I put my hand in my pocket, pulling out the coins I had leftover from the week. Enough for a bag of sweets. I took one of the pink striped bags from the little box and filled it with the assortment I craved, before walking to the til. As usual I received an undeserved scowl from the plump man as I handed him the bag for him to weigh. Once he figured out the price I handed over the appropriate coins, much to his surprise. I retrieved my bag before leaving, wishing the unfriendly man a good day. I continued through the streets as I ate, seeing the fair that Jack and I had visited as children, I so wanted to save up enough money to go back, to watch the acrobats, and the clowns, and the magicians. But most of all, the animals. I knew it wasn't good for them to have animals trapped up like that, but you couldn't help but enjoy the show they put on. The magnificent elephant, the elegant horses and those tigers, that made me grip at Jack's shirt. I decided to sit for a while, to just watch the people as they walked by. I enjoyed watching people, wondering where they're going, where they're coming from, who they're going to see. The people walking past me all wore beautiful dresses or smart suits, there weren't any poor children begging for scraps, I guess they didn't have those here, all the children were dresses in pristine little outfits. One family walked past, a woman with two children, a boy and a girl. The girl wore a gorgeous white dress, except the skirt was ripped and coated in mud, the boy was walking beside the woman as she held tightly to his wrist, pulling him along. It was easy to asses their situation. The boy had somehow caused the destroyed dress and was now being sufficiently punished. The girl however wore a smug grin, which made me think that perhaps it wasn't completely to young lads fault.

I was walking back towards the bridge when the day started to get strange. "Excuse me, miss?" A woman spoke behind me but I continued walking thinking she was talking to someone else. "Girl! In the hat!" That's what made me turn, it was strange for girls to wear hats, so it was very unlikely it was anyone else. As I expected she was looking right at me, grinning.

"Can I help you?" I asked thinking she might just need directions or want to give me some money, rich people do that sometimes, they like believing they're good people because they spared some loose change to a peasant like me.

"I'd like to grab a coffee with you, if you wouldn't mind. I have a few questions." She smiled sweetly. I considered the offer and I knew I should decline, this is a random lady on the street, she could be trying to kidnap me.

"Sure why not" I shrugged before following her towards a cute little cafe. A woman handed us a menu, and the woman insisted I order whatever I want, no matter the cost. So I did. Beef sandwich, two glasses of sarsaparilla, cheesecake and a chocolate brownie. I'd never eaten that much in my life, and I'm pretty sure the woman could tell as I shovelled the food into my mouth.

"My name is Minnie Johnson and I'm writing a short story on the lives of those who live in the streets. I want to see how they behave. I've been watching you for a while now, noting down everything I see, how you differ from those of high status."

"That's a bit creepy." I stated through mouthfuls.

"Haha yes I suppose it is. For the next part of my research, I would like to see how you react to a different environment, a different way of living. So I have a proposal." She smiled. I nodded for her to go on.

"I would like you to come live with me, out in the countryside, I would pay for your stay, your food, even your education." She explained and my mouth involuntarily opened, dropping some brownie onto the plate. "Now I don't expect an answer right away, so I will give you three days to think about it. If your answer is yes, be at the train yard on Friday at 3 o'clock. If you're not there I will leave without you and assume you have made an awful decision."

She paid the bill and walked me to the bridge, where I saw Spot talking to some younger newsies in that fatherly way he does. He noticed me and furrowed his brows in confusion. The woman kissed my cheek before walking away, back into the high streets.

"Who was that?" He asked as he jogged over to me.

"I need to tell you something." I smiled.

"Go on."

"No, I need the guys too, I have a decision to make, and I can't do it alone."

"Well I sold all my papes, so let's go." He held out his arm for me and led me across the bridge.