Chapter 29

I sat on the floor, drinking water that Kloppman had kindly brought me as soon as I'd walked through the door. People were sat all around me, reminding me of when we painted the signs for the strike. I definitely would miss this place, and everyone in it. But I didn't know how I could pass up such an opportunity.

"So?" Race asked after a few seconds, breaking the silence we had awkwardly been sat in for what felt like 2 years but was probably only 10 minutes. "What did youse want to talk about?"

"Okay, so's I need youse, erm I need youse all to like not freak." I began, which only made the tension raise.

"I don't likes this." Boots shook his head "youse is scaring me Tiger"

"Yeah just tell us already would ya!" Mush pressed.

"Alrigh' alrigh' jeez. Well today, some hoity toity lady took me to one of them fancy cafes in Brooklyn. And she's, well she's been watching me."

"What?!" Spot shouted from his seat right next to me, making my ears ring,

"No no, not like that. She's writing some book thingy about me, about us street rats."

"Okay and?" Jack asked, sat the furthest away, with his arms crossed. No one was really sure what had put him in such a bad mood, but no one had the guts to question it, except his little sister of course, he wasn't that scary to me, I've seen things that compromise his leader status.

"What's the matter with youse, all week you've been like this, it's annoying."

"Nothin"

"Well then cheer up ya sour puss" I laughed, but he just scowled "seriously tell us"

"Fine. Emma wants to move, says there's nuttin for her here." That caused a lot of defensive raised voices.

"What's she mean nuttin'? youse is here ain't ya, ain't you some'in?" Boots felt very passionately about Jack's problem, making most of us newsies look at him funny, he never showed this much care about anything else, except maybe the strike. When he'd realised that everyone was concealing laughter he chuckled awkwardly and shut up.

"She wants me to go with her." Jack admits and the room goes silent. No one knows what to say.

"W-where to?" I ask, we can't both leave, what would the others do without us.

"Somewhere wiv more trees and fields and stuff." Jack shrugged "she hasn't fully decided yet."

"You could finally go to Santa Fe." Mush says, trying his best to sound supportive and happy for his friend, failing miserably.

"Guys I'm really considering it." Jack said "sorry Tiger I interrupted, what were you gonna say?"

"Okay I'm just gon' get it over wit, she wants to move out ta' country wiv her in some posh mansion."

"She wants youse to what?" Spot looks at me like I'd just stabbed his girlfriend, which would be myself, wait maybe this analogy doesn't work.

"Calm it, I haven't decided yet, that's why I told youse." I told them, I had pretty much decided to go already but they didn't need to know that. It would certainly solve my problem of being left behind. "She said it would be like a few months, that's not long right?" I asked the room in general, us Newsies had very bad awareness of time.

"No dear, it's not too long." Kloppman answered the question no one else could. I thanked him for his help and turned back to the group, "what do youse think then?"

"No. Youse ain't going." Spot folded his arms.

"Well it ain't up to you." I shot back, I loved the guy but he loved being in control, and it was suffocating sometimes. "She's said she'll let youse all come to visit, pay for your train fare and everything, let you stay in the mansion for a few nights." This news seemed to persuade a few people, the chance for them to benefit was definitely good persuasion. Jack seemed pretty on board because he was considering moving too. I told him I would give him the address to write to me or to stop by if he ever needed shelter, I'm sure Minnie wouldn't mind, she could make a chapter or two on Jack, and homeless siblings. She was eager to let a few of the others stay too, it was all amazing material for her work she had said. It is odd that she isn't disgusted by us though, most rich folk like to keep a safe distance from us, fear of becoming infected.

It seemed I had most of the boys' support, all but dear old Sean. I always knew he'd be the trickiest, but at the end of the day what was he going to do? Tie me down? Lock me up? I think his main problem with it was this idea that we would automatically break up, but I wouldn't be gone long, and once I got back I would have been paid for my service and he will have begun his career in law enforcement, we would be ready to start our lives together. I left the lodge house that evening with a very grumpy boyfriend walking annoyingly fast. I jogged to catch up with him, as much as I wanted to talk to him, I was also slightly cautious of the late hour and shady characters lurking around New York.

"Spot please, at least just walk next to me." I called and he obeyed, slowing his pace and holding out his hand, which I happily took in my own. We walked in silence for a while, before he decided to speak.

"Do youse really wants to go?" He looked at me, stopping on the bridge and holding both my hands.

"I think I do." I nodded and he sighed, looking at the floor.

"But you'll be back right? And I can visit?"

"Of course, I'll always come back for youse Sean." I held his cheek as I kissed him.

"Okay then." He nodded, starting to walk again.

"Okay?"

"Okay. Youse can go"

"I love youse."

"I love ya Tiger."