Ch. 1~ Woman in the mirror

~In which plenty of explanations are given and a reflection is forbidding~

There it was again. A glimpse. A moment. A reflection in the mirror. A face staring back at me. Only it wasn't me. It was someone else entirely. Someone I only see in moments. Her, and always the same woman. I had seen her there for as long as I could remember. Here and there she would appear. A passing moment with the mirror in the dinning hall. A fleeting Instant with the pond in the west gardens. A brief glimpse just as I dash beyond the palace windows. There, and then most certainly gone again.

"Faustine!" my eldest brother Byron called. Breaking away my attention from the looking glass I had been so intently bound to.
"Put the mirror away oh vain one, we have to meet with mother and father Five minutes ago."
I rolled my eyes laughing to myself. Reluctantly, I began closing my books and dusting my skirts as I stood to go. My head was still buzzing with questions. Who is that mysterious face? She had a gaunt and serious type of appearance and was quite ominous if I was being honest. Her head covered as if she wore a dark cloak. It was difficult to tell. Having to gather what details I could so quickly made missing something easy. But I needn't worry much longer because soon I would have all the answers I needed. Tonight I would be performing my greatest magical feet to date. A summoning spell. I was hopeful I would gain a powerful ally and possibly a new friend.

The woman in the mirror had been driving me forward in my magical pursuits for years now. I wanted to know the truth and I would have it. Who is she and why is she there? How? I had to know. But in order to know, there was so much more I had to do and learned just to get to the place where I could have answers.

For the most part, it has been a fun and enjoyable journey, but there is one problem. Well, actually many problems and that would be people. Fools. All afflicted and stricken dumb by comfortability and foolish culture. Dumb, because they do not ask, and foolish because they care not to ask. I am alone among my people and a thorn in the side of my family. Just as I like it.

I took off down the hallway towards the great Hall. My parents, the king and queen, we're meeting with dignitaries and, for some reason they needed all eight of the children present to make a proper appearance. I am the only daughter of the eight and I am smack in the middle at the ripe age of 17. I'll never inherit anything and my brothers keep my parents busy with plenty of their own shenanigans. I do find ways to make myself known, truly by accident, I assure you. Somehow, I have a knack for trouble. In all actuality, this kingdom doesn't suit me well at all. Which is strange because we are the most prosperous in all the Seven Lands. We have no trade of our own, we minimally interact with other kingdoms, and prefer to tend to our own affairs. It's strange.

Speeding past Byron, I rounded the corner and nearly tripped over the thick carpet rug that lined the lengthy hallway. I stopped short at the entrance to the great Hall, recovered my breath, and sent a cheeky smirk to my brother as he approach the doors as well. The doorman let us in with one glance from Byron.

 The doorman let us in with one glance from Byron