Chapter 16. The Dappled Grove

~ In which toadstools have plenty of personality and a food flies~

At dawn's gentle call, a singular thought stirred within me.  The hour had come to return home and gather my belongings. I'd be swift and stealthy.  No dilly dallying and there would be no troubles. 

With that thought in mind I followed the steps of my new morning routine, dressed myself, and attended to Onyx and Phina.  Then it was time to get down to business.   I took a spelled bag with me, which contained nothing as to fit all the items I'd return with. As a measure of secrecy, I donned a black cloak and a hood to shroud my identity. In true customary fashion, my task required me to pass through undetected, evading all watchful eyes.

Suddenly, as I approached the Void Way, I felt a familiarity like I had changed but home had not. It would have been a comforting thought if only it weren't so sad because of how great things were now that I was free to be my true self. But I still loved my home...even if it was a silly foolish place. And I wished deeply to see it be just as happy and free of a kingdom as the Enchanted Forest was.

I looked at Onyx, who was sitting on the couch in the living room. "Onyx, I'm going now. Please watch over the cottage while I'm gone. I'll be back soon, I promise." I waved at him and he nodded understanding me as he always did. 

With that I pictured my laboratory back home in my minds eyes, opened door and stepped through. Inside  was a dark and silent space, where nothing existed but me and the door. Then suddenly came a rushing sensation and glittering light began to rise and swirled all about me. There was the faintest sounds of the tinkling bells. I seemed to be falling in what felt like an upward direction.   I continued to hold the picture of the castle in my mind, and then I came to a swift stop where a new door stood before me. Reaching out out I turned the door knob and stepped through. I was back.

As I entered my old lab a wave of nostalgia washed over me. Everything was exactly as I had left it. The shelves were filled with books, scrolls, and journals. The tables were cluttered with flasks, beakers, and test tubes. The walls covered in diagrams, charts, and symbols. In the air was the distinct scent magic mingled with a tinge of scientific experiments. This was my sanctuary, my playground, my laboratory.

I came here today in search of 4 items specifically. They were a compass, an old spell book with some of my first spells, a crystal ball that was particularly good at showing you your options for any query, and one of my favorite potion mixing kits.

Without hesitation I began searching about for the items I needed, hoping they were still there and intact. The compass I found in its place on the third shelf, next to a globe and a map. It was a silver device, shaped like a star, with a needle that pointed to the direction I wanted to go. I grabbed it and put it in my bag. My old spell book I found upon table, underneath a pile of old parchments and scrolls. It was a leather-bound tome, with a lock and a key. I unlocked it and flipped through the pages, feeling a surge of pride as I skimmed over my work.