Chapter Four

Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow.

Rohesia didn't understand what made her climb  those stairs towards the Astronomy tower after dinner that night, but here she was

Rohesia didn't understand what made her climb  those stairs towards the Astronomy tower after dinner that night, but here she was. She didn't understand it, this wild drive that told her she had to fulfill her promise, her end of the bargain. Though, really, if she thought about it, Potter hadn't exactly upheld his end either. This year was much the same as her last, and that before it. Late nights, early mornings, lonely study periods. A lack of anything particularly fun which was one of the specific details he had promised. So it was best she didn't think about it at all.

Instead, she thought about dinner in the Great Hall. Usually, Rohesia sat by herself at the end of the table. This much probably comes as no surprises by now. Even Potter spent most meals with his friends, lest Sirius whine too much about him spending all his time with a certain blonde. But today, oddly enough, someone sat down across from her. Peter Pettigrew.

When he had sat down, Rossie had quirked an eyebrow up at him. "Are you here because of Potter and some pity quest?" She asked quietly, instantly regretting how sharp her words sounded, like a silent dagger stabbed beneath the table, pulling her back to Marlene's words earlier. But she also didn't want him sitting here if he was just a stand in for James' odd obligation to improving her school year.

"No," he said quietly, shaking his head. "Just...didn't like their conversation today," he glanced over at his three other friends down the line, who sat with Lily, Marlene, and Alice. Sirius was elbowing James and laughing at one of his own jokes.

As Rohesia glanced down and saw the girls, her cheeks flushed a burning, embarrassing red as she remembered the look on Lily's face as she realized that Rossie had heard everything they had said. She could only guess at what they were talking about and none of it sounded particularly in her favor. 

"Is it okay that I sit here?" He asked her, voice still quiet. He had always been the quieter, shyer one of Potter's friends. The one that people didn't talk about as much, didn't think about. But he was there all the same. 

Rohesia sighed and nodded. He wasn't all that bad, she didn't think at least. He was nice enough to leave whatever they were talking about down at the other end of the table. "You can stay," she said back, equally quiet. "I just don't do great with the whole talking things so...." she trailed off, then took a big bite out of the pot pie in front of her. 

"That works for me," Peter said with a nod, taking a drink out of the pumpkin juice he had brought with him. And then the two ate in silence for the rest of the meal, speaking again only for a minimal goodbye. 

She sighed and opened the door to the Astronomy tower and pushed in. It was cold, in the tallest tower in Hogwarts. The doors to the balcony and parapet outside were flung open, letting the night air in and the room breathe. Out on the balcony, Rohesia could see James, standing and looking up at the stars. She shook out her shoulder and brushed her hair back. It was time to get this over with.