Chapter Thirteen

My bounty is as boundless as the sea

The next week was the fastest time of Rohesia's life. Though, there was no other time of her life where she spent so much of it lips glued to another person. Lips glued to James Potter of all people. She didn't know that kissing could feel this good. Before this week, she didn't know what kissing felt like at all.

And it felt amazing.

It felt like any chance they could, James and Rossie were locking lips. Soft goodbyes before bed, heated makeouts in alcoves where they thought no one would see them, and casually pecks on the cheek in passing. It was like fire running through her veins every time and she didn't believe it could possibly get any better than this. Truly. He had succeeded in his endeavor to make this her best year yet, but it was mostly thanks to him.

Sometimes it even began to threaten her studies, when he would find her in the library and press her up against a bookshelf so his lips could cover whatever skin was available to them.

"James," she said, breath weak, giggling. "Stop! I have to get some studying done this week. Not all of us have this magic ability to ace every exam we receive. We can't all be you."

He stood over her, one arm braced against the shelf above her, grinning sheepishly down at her. "Sorry, love, can't always help myself around you these days," he brushed a blonde wave out of her face. "But I know how much you care about your studies. What if I let you study right now, and we meet up in the tower tonight?" He stepped back, as if being so close to her right now was dangerous.

"Sure," she said, rolling her eyes at him playfully. Even as smitten as she felt by him, she wasn't willing to forego her studies, nor her race for head girl. James never seemed like he had to worry. He aced everything and she only saw him in the library when he came to try and distract her. And his family would love him even if he didn't ace his studies. The more he talked about his parents, the more she saw that. And the less she felt that about her own.

"Perfect. It's a date," he grinned, before leaning in and giving her a kiss on the forehead. She closed her eyes, savoring in the moment, and when she reopened them, he was already dancing off back down the row of books towards the exit.

When he was gone, she deflated a little. Seeing James was great, he gave her this bubbly feeling, a feeling like she was flying and not afraid of it. But there was also a lot of pressure that she felt. Pressure to be a good kisser, to look nice all the time, to no longer be overwhelmed because she didn't want to stress him out. And then there was the pressure of the others - of her brother, whose eyes she felt like daggers in her back whenever they shared a class. Of Lily, who had finally conceded to being James' perfect girlfriend only to lose him, then watch him become interested in a Malfoy, or all people. Of her parents, who likely didn't know yet as she hadn't received a Howler, but who would find out eventually.