Chapter Eleven

"Is love a tender thing? It is too rough, too rude, too boisterous, and it pricks like thorn

Rossie stood in front of the mirror in the bathroom, staring at her reflection, willing herself to look more awake than she did in that moment. There were bags under her eyes. And not like carry on style, these were full on checked baggage suitcases tinted blue beneath her gaze. She attempted tapping a concealer over them but unfortunately it didn't do much good. Then she picked at her sweatshirt. It was a soft blue thing, the color of the sky in spring, but warm enough for going out to the pitch.

Which she was supposed to be doing right now. Shit. She was going to be late. James was probably going to think she stood him up. The thought of that made her heart hammer uncomfortably. She hated that. She wasn't supposed to care what James Potter thought of her. She wasn't supposed to flirt with him or blush when he flirted back. None of this was supposed to be happening to her - and it was all because she agreed to that silly deal of his.

But Rohesia also recognized she had backed herself into this corner. She had no one to blame but herself. And her stupid brain. And her stupid hormones. And the fact that when she thought about it, deep down, she liked James Potter. A lot. She liked that she could say whatever she thought to him and he never looked at her like she was crazy. She liked that he cared about what she thought. She like that look in his eyes when he was thinking about something deeply - this far off gaze and a slight upward tug of his lips. She liked the way he ran his hand through his hair and the electric fizz she felt every time their skin made contact.

Gods she wanted to punch that mirror right then and there. She shouldn't like him. She didn't like anyone. She knew that her life wasn't meant for silly things like affection. And yet here she was, begrudgingly, finding herself falling for this overly-confident, tall, handsome...UGH! She stomped her foot in frustration then ran a hand through her blonde ponytail again. 

There was nothing she could do to fix that now. She was just going to have to tough it up and go meet him at the Quidditch pitch like she promised, and then....just refuse to get on the broom. She wouldn't have to go on a date if she never got on the broom, so it would be as simple as that. She looked at herself and nodded, as if making herself a promise, before she turned and left the bedroom, pleased to see her three roommates were still out at breakfast.

As she walked through the halls, hands in the pockets of her sweatshirt, she ruminated on her time at the pub yesterday with Lily, Alice, and Marlene. Firstly, Marlene was definitely interested in Sirius, as much as she pretended not to be. Rohesia was very perceptive when it came to those type of things - especially as she had spent so much time quiet, alone, and watching everyone else. So it was plain as day to her that Marlene was pretty smitten. 

Secondly, she also had to admit that the three girls were funny. Even as much as it pained her to think so. When they weren't making fun of her, they were pretty entertaining. And she had managed to make them all laugh from time to time too, up until Marlene made everything uncomfortable and Sirius snapped at her. Can't win them all, she supposed. But she could at least not worry James with thoughts that she hated his friends.