Episode 5: The Way In

"Jade, you got a letter opener?"

The furious click-clack of her keyboard stopped short and her eyebrows furrowed even more. Then without a word, the clansleader yanked open a desk drawer and made the sharp implement appear. She handed it off to the draconic troublemaker hanging in her doorway.

Calder accepted the tool and tore open her Dojo envelope with one swipe. As she wrestled with the paper, Jade caught sight of the sticker and now, finally, chose to speak up.

"You're supposed to read those in private."

Calder paused in her unfolding of the paper. She pushed off the wall and slapped her open palm down on Jade's desk, leaving the letter opener when she drew away.

"It's just them telling me to go to hell. You do that all the time," she muttered, turning and exiting the office.

Jade closed her eyes and forced herself to breathe easy. The sounds of keyboard abuse resumed.

From outside, a particular harsh feminine voice could be heard yelling "HOLY SHIT!" and the retreating footsteps attached to it were fast and frantic.

Jade saved her progress on the document and made to rise from her desk, a proud smirk forming on her lips.

***

"PARRISOL. PARRISOL!!" Calder tore down the hallways of Nemesis Headquarters, Dojo letter in one hand and the words 'holy shit' rattling around in her brain on repeat. One of these rooms belonged to her supervisor. She just wasn't sure which one.

A door from behind her slammed open and Parrisol, shoeless, glasses-less and with her hair trailing all the way down to her butt, yelled "WHAT?" in a volume that quite easily matched Calder's.

Calder skidded to a stop and scrambled into the room, pulling her friend in after her. She found the nearest flat surface and slammed the letter down on it, then backed up three large steps and pointed like it was going to try and eat her face.

"THEY LET ME IN."

"What?"

Calder shrugged, wild-eyed. "Read it. They let me in. Not Nola."

Parrisol looked from the paper to Calder and back to the paper. She sighed and picked up the letter, gently smoothing out some of the creases caused by Calder's manhandling as she wandered about the room in search of her glasses.

Upon finding them, she began reading.

Calder,

It is my pleasure to inform you that you have been selected to join the ranks of Hyun's Dojo! Between your abilities, your adaptability, and your sportsmanship--which we consider to be one of if not *the* most important facet of competitive dueling--you have been chosen as the perfect candidate to fully embrace the program this month.

Your induction ceremony will be held one week from today, on Wednesday, June 10th. This setting is *mandatory*, since you will receive your license and dorm assignment at that time. The ceremony is private, held in the entrance hall of Dojo campus, and the only spectators will be myself, the administrative team, and a few Rock Hard Gladiators still with us after the close of their era. That is a total of twenty to twenty-five people. If you are uncomfortable with that size audience, please speak with Jade immediately, and I'll be sure to make the ceremony employees-only. If you see no issues with the tradition how it is, simply arrive at the entrance hall Wednesday night at eight o'clock.

We are thrilled to welcome you to our proud establishment. After reading some of the reports on your fighting style and personal interactions, I know for a fact that you'll fit right in.